Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

a1264 Airport Express w/ Mac Mini

Had hoped to use the a1264 connected to a Mac Mini via Ethernet to access a wireless router.

I entered the router address in the a1264 setup and the green light came on but Safari says 'Can not connect to the Interenet'.

Is this supposed to work? If so can someone point me to an on-line set up guide (the included booklet does not go into much detail). Think it needs a custom / manual setup.

Mini OS 10.5

NO Airport card in the Mini.

Posted on Jul 1, 2019 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2019 3:36 PM

I'm assuming that your Mi-Fi device is providing a Wi-Fi network and is using cellular data to connect to the Internet ... correct? If so, then it should be possible to connect your AirPort Express base station to the Mi-Fi's hotspot and have the base station's Ethernet port enabled for your Mac mini to gain Internet access.

In this case the Express need to be reconfigured as a wireless client. Ref: AirPort Express: How to join an existing Wi-Fi network in client mode - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2019 3:36 PM in response to icwvx

I'm assuming that your Mi-Fi device is providing a Wi-Fi network and is using cellular data to connect to the Internet ... correct? If so, then it should be possible to connect your AirPort Express base station to the Mi-Fi's hotspot and have the base station's Ethernet port enabled for your Mac mini to gain Internet access.

In this case the Express need to be reconfigured as a wireless client. Ref: AirPort Express: How to join an existing Wi-Fi network in client mode - Apple Support

Jul 5, 2019 9:45 AM in response to icwvx

Ok, the set up link says to connect the Express to the router.

Can not do as wireless routers have no Ethernet port.

Plus the a1264 Express I purchased has only one E-net port.

If I had a router w/ a E-net port and the later A1392 Express w/ 2 ports I would presumably be ok.

So what I did was use a Mac w/ an Airport built in to configure the a1264 via Ethernet then save the configuration file and transfer same to the Mini. Loading such file worked and the old Mini now via the a1264 connects to the Internet.

Jul 1, 2019 10:28 AM in response to icwvx

Let's start with what is the make & model of the Internet modem or gateway that you have your AirPort Extreme connected directly to by Ethernet? In turn, I understand that you have your Mac mini connected to this Extreme by Ethernet as well.

... or are you saying that you are trying to use the Extreme as a wireless Ethernet bridge. That is, having the Extreme connection to your wireless gateway by a wireless connection and using its Ethernet connection for the mini for Internet access?

Jul 1, 2019 11:04 AM in response to Tesserax

Perhaps I should have prefaced the question as a Newbie question. Have never used an Airport Express but was hoping it would connect the Mini which has no built in Airport to connect to the Internet.

Present available Internet wi-fi is provided by a mi-fi router (cellular) which has no ports.

Ethernet is connecting the Mini and a1264 Airport Express.

Will the a1264 find the mi-fi signal and allow the Mini (not having an Airport card) to access the Internet?

a1264 Airport Express w/ Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.