Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express w/ Mac

Newbie question

Can one connect via Ethernet an Airport Express to a Mac that has NO Airport built in and by doing so access the Internet?

If so is there a how-to tutorial on-line?

Had hoped the a1264 AE could be used instead of buying a USB wi-fi adapter.

Posted on Jul 1, 2019 3:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2019 3:47 PM

icwvx wrote:

Newbie question

Can one connect via Ethernet an Airport Express to a Mac that has NO Airport built in and by doing so access the Internet?

Potentially, yes. However, the Express would still need a means to connect to the Internet.

How it connects to the Internet will dictate what instructions you will require to "make it happen."

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2019 3:47 PM in response to icwvx

icwvx wrote:

Newbie question

Potentially, yes. However, the Express would still need a means to connect to the Internet.

How it connects to the Internet will dictate what instructions you will require to "make it happen."

Jul 5, 2019 9:49 AM in response to LaPastenague

Ok, the set up link says to connect the Express to the router.

Can not do as wireless routers have no Ethernet port.

Plus the a1264 Express I purchased has only one E-net port.

If I had a router w/ a E-net port and the later A1392 Express w/ 2 ports I would presumably be ok.

So what I did was use a Mac w/ an Airport built in to configure the a1264 via Ethernet then save the configuration file and transfer same to the Mini. Loading such file worked and the old Mini now via the a1264 connects to the Internet.

Airport Express w/ Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.