Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad questions

I am thinking about to buy an iPad for my parents but they don't have wifi at home, so i would like to find out if i am planning to buy one for them, how the wifi works with the new iPad? please advise! Thank you!

Posted on Jul 2, 2019 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2019 10:28 AM

iPads use Wi-Fi to connect to the router in your home and that router connects to the internet. Almost everything on an iPad will require an internet connection. In particular, email, news or if you're thinking of using the iPad to talk with your parents using WhatsApp.

If your parents' house already has an internet connection (for example, for a desktop computer), the router that it uses may be WiFi enabled, in which case, the new iPad can be connected to the existing router.

OR - buy the more expensive iPad with cellular connectivity. Note though:

1. that that model needs a sim card with data plan, which might be more expensive than installing Wifi at home
  2. this is very different to the iPod, where you've posted your question. (An iPod with "cellular connectivity" is an iPhone.)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2019 10:28 AM in response to lm242

iPads use Wi-Fi to connect to the router in your home and that router connects to the internet. Almost everything on an iPad will require an internet connection. In particular, email, news or if you're thinking of using the iPad to talk with your parents using WhatsApp.

If your parents' house already has an internet connection (for example, for a desktop computer), the router that it uses may be WiFi enabled, in which case, the new iPad can be connected to the existing router.

OR - buy the more expensive iPad with cellular connectivity. Note though:

1. that that model needs a sim card with data plan, which might be more expensive than installing Wifi at home
  2. this is very different to the iPod, where you've posted your question. (An iPod with "cellular connectivity" is an iPhone.)

iPad questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.