Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos library repair

About a week ago, when I tried to open Photos, all I got was a blank screen with the rotating pinwheel. I let it go for a couple of days, with no change or error messages. I had to force quit to restart my iMac. Dis some research and launched Photos in repair mode. I read that it could take a while, so patience was needed. it took a couple of hours to get to 5%, but not it has been on "Repairing Library... (5% complete)" for 4 days. I do have Time Machine backups, but I don't know how far back I would need to go to get going again. I don't want to lose the last weeks of photos added, but I would rather that than lose 20+ years of scanned and imported photos. Anybody have any words of wisdom here?

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 2, 2019 10:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2019 9:19 AM

After 6 days, lost power and of course, iMac was off. Restarted it in Recovery mode, and ran Disk Utility on startup disk and both externals. After rebooting again, launched Photos in repair mode and started the repair. Did not check on in for about a day and a half, but when I did, the repair had completed. Additionally, Photos is now running MUCH faster than before. However, I still have a number of Faces that have never finished updating - some have been in the updating status for well over a year. At any rate, this particular situation is finished.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2019 9:19 AM in response to Biker 1951

After 6 days, lost power and of course, iMac was off. Restarted it in Recovery mode, and ran Disk Utility on startup disk and both externals. After rebooting again, launched Photos in repair mode and started the repair. Did not check on in for about a day and a half, but when I did, the repair had completed. Additionally, Photos is now running MUCH faster than before. However, I still have a number of Faces that have never finished updating - some have been in the updating status for well over a year. At any rate, this particular situation is finished.

Photos library repair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.