Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restore vs rebuild vs repair

I've had issues with my photos library for about a year now, probably started when I upgraded to Monterey. Its a 2018 MBP with 32Gb ram, 512 disk. The photos that were in the library are stored on an external NAS and there are about 30k of them. I don't have iCloud photos turned on in the app on MBP.

When I restart, I can start photos OK, the library comes up (after multiple restore sessions) and the timelines, other views are OK. The people view is not working, thumbnails appear, but when clicked through, there is a grey box for that person.

As prompted by Photos I have restored my library multiple times, and I've repaired it a few times as well. Repairing gets stuck on 99%, which I see others have also reported.

What I have noticed more recently, if I reboot MBP, start Photos, its OK, I can see library (although people is still not working).

If I then quit Photos, then restart photos later (without reboot) I get the 'restoring library' screen.

What's the advice ? Keep restoring/repairing ? Do a full rebuild ? Go back to an unknown, maybe not so good backup ?

I'd like to upgrade to Ventura, but not sure if that's going to break the photos library even more.

Advice pls ?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 13, 2023 1:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2023 2:31 AM

iIt is not safe to store your Photos Library on a NAS. Photos will lose the connection to the library on the NAS and will need to restore the library or repair it. If you are keeping your library on a drive on your local network you are risking transmission errors and library corruption. Move your Photos Library to a local drive with a wired connection. The external drive should be prepared as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

And see the warnings in the link above:

"You can't store your library on a storage device used for Time Machine backups. And to avoid possible data loss, don't store your library on a removable storage device like an SD card or USB flash drive, or on a device shared over your network or the internet, including over a cloud-based storage service. ...

Always make sure that your storage device is turned on and available before opening Photos. If Photos can't find the device, it stops using the Photos library stored there."

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2023 2:31 AM in response to yorkie222

iIt is not safe to store your Photos Library on a NAS. Photos will lose the connection to the library on the NAS and will need to restore the library or repair it. If you are keeping your library on a drive on your local network you are risking transmission errors and library corruption. Move your Photos Library to a local drive with a wired connection. The external drive should be prepared as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

And see the warnings in the link above:

"You can't store your library on a storage device used for Time Machine backups. And to avoid possible data loss, don't store your library on a removable storage device like an SD card or USB flash drive, or on a device shared over your network or the internet, including over a cloud-based storage service. ...

Always make sure that your storage device is turned on and available before opening Photos. If Photos can't find the device, it stops using the Photos library stored there."

Jan 13, 2023 6:06 AM in response to yorkie222

With an iCloud Photos Library you would need plenty of cloud storage to hold all your Photos.

Then you can save storage locally on your devices, if you enable "Optimize Mac Storage" in the Photos > Preference (Settings) > iCloud.

Use iCloud Photos to store photos in iCloud - Apple Support

Photos will then remove some of the high resolution originals from your Mac and replace them by smaller, optimised versions, when your Mac is low on storage.

On the iPhone enable "Optimize iPhone Storage".

The drawbacks will be:

• You will need a paid cloud storage subscription
  • You will need an internet connection, whenever you want to work with optimized versions of your photos, as Photos will need to download the original from iCloud.
  • It will be more complicated to make a backup of your photos, as Time Machine cannot backup optimized originals. You will have to export your originals regularly to back them up.

But the bonus will be, that any changes to your photos library will be perfectly in sync across all devices, any imports photos and videos, any adjustments, metadata, albums, folders.

iCloud Photos does not work with referenced images. You will have to consolidate (File > Consolidate) the originals into your Photos Library, before you can sync the library with iCloud Photos.

Jan 13, 2023 4:09 AM in response to yorkie222

There is no documentation on where it is safe to store the referenced original image files, but they should be on a volume that is always mounted while you are logged into your user account and the volume should be formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS, or you will have problems with some filenames.

Several users reported problems with keeping referenced files on a NAS after the upgrade to Monterey. I would not risk it.

Jan 13, 2023 4:39 AM in response to yorkie222

I see no other option, but It will be a lot of work to reconnect the referenced images, after you move them to a different volume. The support for referenced images is very basic in Photos, and on Big Sur and Monterey I found it very difficult to reconnect referenced originals to my Photos Library when to originals had been move to a different volume.

On the long run, consider to keep the complete library on an external volume, not just the image files, tp avoid the problems with a referenced library.

Or keep the library on your internal drive, but use iCloud Photos to save storage.This will also make the syncing between your devices easier, if you are having an iPhone or iPad as well.

restore vs rebuild vs repair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.