Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages keeps crashing at launch

Pages keeps crashing at launch. I have the latest version (8.1) and running in Mojave (10.14.5). I have deleted the app and reinstalled it. It also crashes in Safe Mode. I have run EtreCheck and there seems to be no apparent issues. Any ideas what is going on?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 2, 2019 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2019 1:40 PM

Carl,

With Font Book File menu : Restore Standard Fonts…, and once that is done, try launching Pages afterward. If it still fails, ensure that it has quit, and move the following folder to the Trash:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iWork.Pages

and then try launching Pages again. What a PITA application when it misbehaves.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2019 1:40 PM in response to Carl Jonsson

Carl,

With Font Book File menu : Restore Standard Fonts…, and once that is done, try launching Pages afterward. If it still fails, ensure that it has quit, and move the following folder to the Trash:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iWork.Pages

and then try launching Pages again. What a PITA application when it misbehaves.

Jul 2, 2019 12:56 PM in response to Carl Jonsson

Have you disabled, removed, or added any fonts before the crashing problem started? Using a third-party font management tool?

Are you running any anti-virus, or any so-called "Mac cleaner" applications? If so, remove them per vendor instructions.

Is the Pages document located on your boot drive, or on another cloud service?

Visit your local Library's Caches folder (~/Library/Caches), and move the com.apple.iWork.Pages file to the Trash. Try launching Pages again, with the shift-key pressed.

Jul 2, 2019 4:19 PM in response to Carl Jonsson

Did Pages work after the Font reset, or after the specific Pages container removal?

When I add fonts to the Mac, I drop them in the ~/Library/Fonts folder, which the system sees when it builds the font database, and hence available to all applications, provided the fonts are activated. Keeps my added fonts out of harms way. 😎

Pages keeps crashing at launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.