Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages still crashing!

Brand new MacBook Air M2 (2023). Every time I use Pages it crashes. It's ridiculous. Everything is updated. I don't have too many apps open, but even if I did, come on, no other of my apps crash if I have a few others open! This is so disappointing!

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 1:06 PM

You should be using Pages v12.2.1 on macOS 13.1. If you performed a migration assistant from another Mac, you may have installed an outdated and incompatible version of Pages. Perform a Get Info on that Pages application icon to verify its version.

Reboot the Air. Press and hold the shift key while launching Pages again. This disables it from using its last saved application execution state. Does that resolve the crashing? If not, you may need to boot that Air into Safe Boot mode, launch Pages, quit Pages, and then perform a normal reboot.

If you are writing Pages documents to Microsoft's One Drive, they are automatically encrypted and directly accessing them with Pages will cause it to blow up as it cannot reverse the encryption. You would need to use Microsoft's current OneDrive application to reverse the encryption and produce a local document that Pages can open.

Google Drive has the potential to destroy Pages documents rendering them useless in Pages.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2023 1:06 PM in response to KiterKevin

You should be using Pages v12.2.1 on macOS 13.1. If you performed a migration assistant from another Mac, you may have installed an outdated and incompatible version of Pages. Perform a Get Info on that Pages application icon to verify its version.

Reboot the Air. Press and hold the shift key while launching Pages again. This disables it from using its last saved application execution state. Does that resolve the crashing? If not, you may need to boot that Air into Safe Boot mode, launch Pages, quit Pages, and then perform a normal reboot.

If you are writing Pages documents to Microsoft's One Drive, they are automatically encrypted and directly accessing them with Pages will cause it to blow up as it cannot reverse the encryption. You would need to use Microsoft's current OneDrive application to reverse the encryption and produce a local document that Pages can open.

Google Drive has the potential to destroy Pages documents rendering them useless in Pages.

Jan 26, 2023 2:14 PM in response to KiterKevin

Thanks for trying to help, VikingOSX. I'm on the latest versions of Pages and macOS. I didn't use migration assistant. I just used my Apple ID to log into the new computer and then synced with the Cloud.

I followed your instructions and did another reboot. Then did a safe reboot. Then another reboot and Pages still crashed after I started writing again.

I need to write and can't trust Pages at this point. I'm considering buying a writing app. Ugh.

Any other suggestions?

Jan 26, 2023 2:27 PM in response to KiterKevin

You didn't confirm whether you are using Pages with local documents, iCloud Drive, or a third-party cloud service, or network share. I have Pages v12.2.1 working just fine on Ventura 13.1 and 13.2 with local or iCloud Drive documents, so there must be more to discover about your usage.

On a fresh reboot, did you press and hold the shift key while launching Pages? Did that stop the crashing?

Jan 26, 2023 2:49 PM in response to KiterKevin

There is a shift key on a reboot for Safe Mode, but after you are booted normally, the press and hold of a shift-key while launching Pages prevents it from loading its last saved application state (e.g. Crash).

You should enable Settings > (click your name at the top of Settings) > iCloud > iCloud Drive [on] > Options… > [ ✓ ] Pages. This will cause a File Chooser instead of a Template Chooser to appear when you launch Pages and allow you to open and save documents to iCloud Drive from Pages. This may end the crash issue.

Pages still crashing!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.