Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Owned vs Purchased music.

I have some serious legal questions given Apple's privacy position regarding the rights to owned music of a user such as that added to iTunes libraries from purchased CD's, etc... as apposed to purchased music added to the users library from the iTunes store. When all the music in a users library is added to iCloud or Apple Music, who retains the rights, either user owned or user rented (right to listen to) as I assume that Apple owns those files as it does all other software content we accept from them and we as users are only granted a license to use said files.

BTW: The topics you have required seem too specific for this topic as it seems to me apply to multiple devices and topics!

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 2, 2019 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2019 5:23 PM

You never lose rights to purchased music. And to be clear, you never OWN music. You get rights to play it under certain conditions for eternity. Not the same as ownership.

The "copies" that Apple places in your iCloud Music lIbrary do have DRM attached, and never belong to you like an iTunes purchased or CDROM based music track.

Sp, while you are a subscriber, you don't have "ownership" of your files. after you stop paying, you go BACK to your DRM free files, which you still don't actually own..

You are fully responsible for backing up your NON-DRM copies in the event you stop using Apple Music. That is, all the music you had before you started using Apple Music.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2019 5:23 PM in response to LogicalAnalysisandDiagnostics

You never lose rights to purchased music. And to be clear, you never OWN music. You get rights to play it under certain conditions for eternity. Not the same as ownership.

The "copies" that Apple places in your iCloud Music lIbrary do have DRM attached, and never belong to you like an iTunes purchased or CDROM based music track.

Sp, while you are a subscriber, you don't have "ownership" of your files. after you stop paying, you go BACK to your DRM free files, which you still don't actually own..

You are fully responsible for backing up your NON-DRM copies in the event you stop using Apple Music. That is, all the music you had before you started using Apple Music.

Jul 3, 2019 9:44 AM in response to LACAllen

I suppose that I am ‘beating a dead horse and tilting at windmills’ regarding this issue. Someone has to make revenue for providing entertainment services, but is it really clear what or how Apple ‘re-licenses’ content.

Maybe I am not wanting to accept that since most users/consumers believe that they are receiving content/services for ‘free’; licensing issues have provided the makers/marketers an economic/financial enhancement which they may not deserve. Just what does “Apple hosts the content and licenses it you on their behalf.” mean? If I import music from a CDROM (licensed by the artist to me) to iTunes, iCloud storage, or Apple Music; does that transfer that DRM to Apple for them to re-license such content? Just to whom may said DRM licensing be provided?

Jul 3, 2019 3:08 PM in response to LogicalAnalysisandDiagnostics

Before you subscribed to Apple Music, you digitized your CD based music and were using it on an Apple device according to terms you agreed to when you bought the CD. Let's call the file you created this way file A. In Apple terms, there is no DRM attached to file A. Apple never imposed additional restrictions on your usage as the assumption is the right on the CD are still in play.

When you enabled Apple Music, Apple substituted your file A with their DRM protected file B.

Same music, same artist. Different rights for you. Rights enforced by Apple on behalf of the rights holder/artist.

Using file B while a subscriber, your usage of file B is limited to devices that are authenticated with Apple at the time. Personal usage only, etc.

If and when you leave Apple Music, you go back to file A and the broader rights you have wit that file.

Hope that's clearer. I am not Apple, nor an IP lawyer, so feel free to dismiss my version of things.

Jul 2, 2019 8:44 PM in response to LACAllen

I have physical possession of the CDs I have added to my iTunes library, therefor a backup copy. You may well be right about ownership of music sourced from CDROMs which I have purchased, but I am concerned about your clarification of the DRM rights of that music when stored in iCloud or Apple Music. Does Apple assume any rights to such music when stored on Apple servers? Does DRM give any legal rights to the purchaser other than the right to listen to it? Why would I want to “give” to another party, such as Apple or any other service, rights that I did purchase and not purchase through such services?

Why is it necessary to digest a legal contract to understand or comprehend the users‘s rights?

Jul 2, 2019 8:55 PM in response to LogicalAnalysisandDiagnostics

Does Apple assume any rights to such music when stored on Apple servers?

No. The rights holder, typically the artist does. Apple hosts the content and licenses it you on their behalf.

Does DRM give any legal rights to the purchaser other than the right to listen to it?

No.

Why is it necessary to digest a legal contract to understand or comprehend the users‘s rights?

Ask the artists.

This has been around since 78s and 45s. In those days these rights were easy to enforce as nobody could easily make copies of vinyl records. Until the late 60s and early 70s, the technology to bypass DRM simply didn't exist or was prohibitively expensive.

Cassette mixtapes in the 80s/90s and forward made it something artists had to enforce. If you look at the fine print on a 45, you likely will see the artist stating their rights to you. LP liner notes, CD liner notes. The lack of technology to reproduce the music made the declarations of rights mostly moot for a long time.

The concept of "not" owning the music you purchase is not new. You never get title to music.

Owned vs Purchased music.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.