Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tip of the iceberg? Losing iTunes movie downloads

This might be the tip of the iceberg, but let's start with--I download movies in iTunes and it seems like as long as I keep iTunes open the downloads will stay there. However, if I close iTunes (maybe wait a day or so) and then open iTunes back up I have noticed I am losing some downloads. When I search for them in Finder I go to the spot where they should be and I can only see the appropriately named folder (of the downloaded movie) but there isn't a movie file in there any more.

Now, I say this may be the tip of the iceberg because, in the past I have noticed at least a couple other Excel files that have been deleted. I have been able to restore them from a cloud backup.

So, any ideas?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 2, 2019 5:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2019 7:38 AM

In iTunes Preferences->Advanced, do you have this checked?

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 4, 2019 12:15 PM in response to woodmeister50

Thank you for your time!

That box was checked. I'll uncheck it. However, I have/had 4 movies downloaded. I've seen all of them. Only two were deleted. And, sometimes I'll download one, two, three... movies, close iTunes, wait a day (until I'm on the road in a non-wifi environment) just to find out 1 up to all of them have been deleted. Is this the same function for that checkbox? If I download a movie that I've seen before, don't watch it, close iTunes...does it think since I've seen int in the past when I close iTunes it will delete it? Further, in the home/music/iTunes.../movies directory, why is the folder of the deleted movie still there, just without the *.m4v file?

So, as this is just an example, I have had other files go missing (e.g. at least two different *.xlsx files). I have thus far been able to restore them from cloud-based backups, but it is infuriating to look for something while I'm on a plane just to find out it's gone and I can't get at it until I'm back in wifi.

I have read some about "console.app", but I can't find where you can search/track an individual file.

Other thoughts?

Tip of the iceberg? Losing iTunes movie downloads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.