Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2018 Macbook Pro drains battery super fast when connected to external monitor

I have recently replaced the battery. The new battery appears to operate at a normal drain rate when using the MacBook Pro without an external monitor (~9 hours normal use).

I have a very recent model monitor (LG Ultra HD), connected to the MacBook Pro using USB-C to DisplayPort. Once the monitor is connected, the battery lasts only 3-4 hours, even when I'm not doing anything graphic intensive (like typing this message or sending an email or browsing a website).

This cannot be normal.

The laptop also gets very hot when I play a video on the monitor.

I wonder if anyone has a solution to this. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 4, 2019 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2019 8:14 AM

<<This cannot be normal.>>

on a 15-in MacBook Pro 2018, when you plug in an external display, the Discrete Graphics chip is used rather than the Integrated Graphics built into the CPU chip. That chip draws MUCH more power, but provides more capability.

The solution is to plug in your Mac, just as you plug in your external display.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2019 8:14 AM in response to applewehaveaaaproblem

<<This cannot be normal.>>

on a 15-in MacBook Pro 2018, when you plug in an external display, the Discrete Graphics chip is used rather than the Integrated Graphics built into the CPU chip. That chip draws MUCH more power, but provides more capability.

The solution is to plug in your Mac, just as you plug in your external display.

2018 Macbook Pro drains battery super fast when connected to external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.