Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro trouble booting after update

I have a MBP 8.3 (late 2011) and after updating it won’t boot, only to a black, white or silver screen. I’ve tried resetting ram, resetting smc, changing out ram, changing Hd and reinstalling through internet. Her is the message verbose mode is giving me.

Posted on Jul 4, 2019 12:57 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jul 4, 2019 7:06 PM in response to DrE1235

DrE1235 wrote:

Safe mode doesnt boot, typically I have two login screens because FileVault was on (I think). The safe mode doesn’t appear in the corner when I press shift during startup but after inputting password it goes blank halfway.

Having to enter your password twice means the user account password and the Filevault password have become disassociated. This can be fixed by resetting the password in the FileVault System Preferences which will allow a single password for login. I'm not sure if or how this can be changed from the command line.

the SSD (the one I used before MBP started failing) was fine, I did it externally and same blank screen. I tried installing through internet but after the initial download, the apple logo appears and the screen goes blank. I did it again with the SSD installed, but same thing happened. Additionally, the fans spin like crazy after.

What brand and model SSD(s) are you using?

Is your laptop the 15" model? The 15" MBP 2011's had known GPU issues with the dedicated GPU. You may be able to force the Intel GPU instead. There have been multiple threads on these forums with directions on how to do this and one of them involves using Linux if you are unable to boot OSX. However, if you cannot Safe Boot then the laptop may be dead since it should be using a very basic video driver.

To bypass OSX, try creating a bootable Knoppix Linux USB drive using Etcher (Mac/Windows/Linux). Option Boot the Knoppix USB drive and select the orange icon labeled "EFI". If you reach the Knoppix desktop, then you may have some hope. I've found that Knoppix won't boot to the desktop on systems with potentially faulty GPUs and will instead drop you to a command prompt. After selecting the orange "EFI" icon the system may appear frozen for several minutes so give Knoppix time to load. Various USB sticks can lengthen the boot time as well. If Knoppix doesn't even make it to a command line then the laptop may be dead (try it without a drive installed just in case).

You can also check the SSD's SMART Attributes using GSmartControl located on the Knoppix "Start" menu under "System Tools --> GSmartControl". If you double-click the SSD icon you can save or post the report to make sure the SSD is Ok. The information in the report is more important than the status reported by the app. The report will also contain the firmware revision of the SSD. You can also run the SSD's internal self diagnostics. You can also test your other drives by connecting them externally.

If Knoppix doesn't boot at all then you could have a memory issue, create a bootable Memtest86 USB drive using Etcher. Option Boot and select the orange icon labeled "EFI". Once Memtest86 boots you can safely remove the USB drive. By default the test runs with four loops, but can be changed in the Test Options. It also has an option to run parallel tests using all the cores, but is disabled by default.

Jul 4, 2019 3:54 PM in response to DrE1235

It appears you are booting in Recovery Mode to finish an aborted install. The second screenshot mentions "disk1s3: device not readable". From the last two screenshots there is a line which mentions "failed to unwrap volume key" and "failed to unwrap meta data crypto state" and "apfs mount failed". Sounds like you have a file system issue here whether caused by a corrupt file system, failing drive, or failing hard drive cable.

You can somewhat eliminate the last one by removing the drive and booting it externally.

You can check the health of the hard drive using DriveDX if you can boot into Safe Mode.

If you are also having issues trying to install macOS to another drive, then I would suggest connecting the second test drive externally and erase the physical disk (not just the "Macintosh HD" volume) as GUID and Mac OS Extended (or HFS+ Journaled). Then install macOS to the external drive. If you get an error message about "Unable to install EFI firmware" or such, then you will need to keep the internal drive installed as the installer may require it to be present even when installing to the external drive. Any errors here would be more informative as it would be from a completely clean drive.

Jul 4, 2019 6:27 PM in response to HWTech

I did a hardware test and the SSD (the one I used before MBP started failing) was fine, I did it externally and same blank screen. I tried installing through internet but after the initial download, the apple logo appears and the screen goes blank. I did it again with the SSD installed, but same thing happened. Additionally, the fans spin like crazy after.

MacBook Pro trouble booting after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.