Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reset SMC with not working shift key

My left shift key stopped working and I think it could be solved by reseting SMC but to do so I need to hold ,,Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the built-in keyboard" which is in my case not possible. Is there any way to reset SMC without shift key? Could I do so with Magic Keyboard or some terminal command? I'm using MacBook Pro 13, 2017.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 5, 2019 2:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2019 8:51 AM

kaz-k wrote:

1. Hi,
Shut down the Mac.
2. Open bottom case.
3. Remove battery cable from logic board.
Press and hold the power1.  button for at least five seconds.
2. Connect battery cable to logic board.
3. Close bottom case.
4. Turn on the Mac.

Or if you have USB wired external keyboard and USB-C to USB adapter, connect them to your MacBook Pro and hold "Shift-Control-Option and power button" could works.

The SMC reset will only work on the internal laptop keyboard. It will not work from an external keyboard even if it is USB.

I don't recommend an inexperienced user opening up a 2016+ laptop because it is much more difficult to remove the bottom case than the older models. Plus it is easy to break the latching mechanism holding the battery cable in place. It can also be a little tricky reinstalling the bottom case.

Whether unauthorized opening of the laptop will void the warranty may vary by region. In the US you "should" be Ok, but if the user causes any damage to the laptop the damage will not be repaired under warranty and the user will need to pay. The parts on these laptops are very expensive.

Since the shift key does not work, why not take advantage of the free Apple Keyboard Repair Program?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2019 8:51 AM in response to kaz-k

kaz-k wrote:

1. Hi,
Shut down the Mac.
2. Open bottom case.
Press and hold the power1.  button for at least five seconds.
2. Connect battery cable to logic board.
3. Close bottom case.
4. Turn on the Mac.

Or if you have USB wired external keyboard and USB-C to USB adapter, connect them to your MacBook Pro and hold "Shift-Control-Option and power button" could works.

The SMC reset will only work on the internal laptop keyboard. It will not work from an external keyboard even if it is USB.

I don't recommend an inexperienced user opening up a 2016+ laptop because it is much more difficult to remove the bottom case than the older models. Plus it is easy to break the latching mechanism holding the battery cable in place. It can also be a little tricky reinstalling the bottom case.

Whether unauthorized opening of the laptop will void the warranty may vary by region. In the US you "should" be Ok, but if the user causes any damage to the laptop the damage will not be repaired under warranty and the user will need to pay. The parts on these laptops are very expensive.

Since the shift key does not work, why not take advantage of the free Apple Keyboard Repair Program?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

Jul 5, 2019 10:39 AM in response to mildakozak

Apple has other free repair programs listed so check back if you encounter any issues in the future.

https://support.apple.com/exchange_repair

Also Apple will sometimes have other free repair programs available but does not disclose them publicly. Here is just one example:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/24/apple-extended-anti-reflective-repair-program/

Jul 5, 2019 4:21 AM in response to mildakozak

Hi,

1. Shut down the Mac.
  2. Open bottom case.
  4. Press and hold the power button for at least five seconds.
  5. Connect battery cable to logic board.
  6. Close bottom case.
  7. Turn on the Mac.

How to reset SMC with not working shift key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.