Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset SMC from command line, macbook pro, OS Sierra

Hi all, wondering how I can reset SMC from command line. I have an old macbook pro that has sentimental value that is otherwise working fine but it's exhibiting clear SMC issues (fan spinning up spontaneously for no reason, macbook sometimes powers up sometimes doesn't [which is unrelated to actual battery charge], battery shows up as dead in the menu bar, but computer starts up just fine, the lights on the battery charge indicator do not turn on, etc.).

There's a problem with the built-in keyboard - because of heavy use left side Shift key stopped working a while ago, so I can't use the Shift+Control+Option method, since I can't use the right side Shift key for it.

I'm a software engineer, so would have no problem digging into the innards of the system and changing something out in VIM. I know there must be a place where this can be done from command line, I just need to know the specifics.

Thanks for any help!

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 5:07 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 12, 2022 5:23 AM in response to free4m

Thanks for the suggestion, I was under the impression that an external keyboard wouldn't work for this, since it's so specific - only LEFT Shift key, so I assumed it had to be on a built-in keyboard.

I did try the reset, but I'm not really sure if it actually happened, the power issues remain as they were.

Reset SMC from command line, macbook pro, OS Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.