Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

drag and drop files

I have my new Mac Book Pro. How do I drag and drop files in finder?

In the mode where finder shows images, I click on the file to drag and the preview window pops up.

In the list mode, I click on the file and I am editing the file name (on my previous macbook, I had to press return for this to happen).

The files simply do not want to drag like I could on my old system.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 5, 2019 3:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2019 4:08 PM

What system are you running? If you're MBP is brand new it will have Mojave as the system.

How are you dragging, i.e. via trackpad? From where to where?

Are you in any particular app?

In the list mode, I click on the file and I am editing the file name (on my previous macbook, I had to press return for this to happen).

Check System/Trackpad preference pane for the click and drag settings. You may have some set6 too quick so you get essentially a double tap when selecting a file.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2019 4:08 PM in response to Big-Jim-Slade

What system are you running? If you're MBP is brand new it will have Mojave as the system.

How are you dragging, i.e. via trackpad? From where to where?

Are you in any particular app?

Check System/Trackpad preference pane for the click and drag settings. You may have some set6 too quick so you get essentially a double tap when selecting a file.

drag and drop files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.