Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My two machines can't see each other to network.

My two machines can't see each other to network on wi-fi. Each can access the internet with no problem. I've been through SysPref>Network, but am still missing something.

Mac minis 4,1 and 6,1. OS 10.11.6

Mac mini, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 6, 2019 4:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2019 6:43 PM

1.) Yep, an old OS, for all my legacy apps.

2.) I ditched the "com.apple.networkextension.plist" and "com.apple.networkextension.cache.plist", and things started to happen. Names/PWs started to get accepted.

I now have 5 of 6 machine connections working, with one of them being able to access/open/work with the apps of another machine. As for the one still not accepting Names/PWs, I can get that from the other direction.

3.) Once I got this far (90%), I decided to try it without the repeater. The behavior with Names/PWs was identical (……no improvement)

I'm a happy camper with everyone's suggestions. The main thing was I'd missed the SysPrefs>Sharing setup.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2019 6:43 PM in response to MrHoffman

1.) Yep, an old OS, for all my legacy apps.

2.) I ditched the "com.apple.networkextension.plist" and "com.apple.networkextension.cache.plist", and things started to happen. Names/PWs started to get accepted.

I now have 5 of 6 machine connections working, with one of them being able to access/open/work with the apps of another machine. As for the one still not accepting Names/PWs, I can get that from the other direction.

3.) Once I got this far (90%), I decided to try it without the repeater. The behavior with Names/PWs was identical (……no improvement)

I'm a happy camper with everyone's suggestions. The main thing was I'd missed the SysPrefs>Sharing setup.

Jul 6, 2019 6:00 AM in response to mrbl

How is your network configured?

Are both configured with addresses in the same IP subnet?

Same Wi-Fi router and same Wi-Fi network name on both?

Or is there more than one router here, such as an ISP router (with or without Wi-Fi) and a Wi-Fi of your own? Both a Time Capsule Wi-Fi and an ISP Wi-Fi router, for instance? Or an ISP router and an Apple AirPort?

Set up and switch to a wired network, and try that?

Jul 7, 2019 10:37 AM in response to VikingOSX

I did give both computers a "nickname" in the Sharing>ComputerName field. But there's a 3d machine (now also available on the network) with the same PW problem, which didn't get a nickname.

I'm assuming that the regular name and PW is for the machine that the access is being initiated on and not the one for whom access is requested. But I've tried it both ways.

Thanks to all of you for covering all of the possibilities.

Jul 8, 2019 3:27 PM in response to VikingOSX

Just to get us all on the same page, this is no longer a "can't-see-on-the-network" problem, and all three machines connect to the internet fine. ("Office" connects to the internet by ethernet, and "Kitchen" and "Unit" connect via Aiport on the router that Office runs through.)

This is a problem of local networks' "Name/PW". Office (mini 4,1) can connect to Kitchen (mini 6,1), but not Unit (MBPro 8,2). These two can't connect with any machines.

The confusing part is that the only possible connection (Office->Kitchen) is made by entering Kitchen's current user account name and PW on Office (when requesting access). I would have thought that the requestor would have to give his own name/PW, not the name/PW of the machine access was being requested to.

When it comes to the other two machines which can't connect with any machine on this network, it doesn't work whether the name/PW I supply is the requestor machine or the requestee machine. The network refuses all names/PWs.

This isn't a matter of getting names/PWs wrong. The names come from SysPrefs>Users&Groups>CurrentUser. All current user accounts are Admin. All three machines are running on the same OS 10.11.6.

I'd like to solve this problem, as the frequent fall-back on thumb drives is getting old.

Thanks in Advance to All,

My two machines can't see each other to network.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.