Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Freezing panes in Numbers

I want to freeze the top 22 rows of my Numbers spreadsheet. This is simple in Microsoft Excel. I can't figure out how to freeze more than the offered 5 rows in Numbers. Is there a way to freeze the top 22 rows in a spreadsheet?

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 6, 2019 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2019 10:32 AM

No.

Numbers permits up to five Header rows and up to five Header Columns.

Only Header rows and Header columns can be frozen.

Requests to change this, or any, feature of the application can be sent directly to Apple via the Feedback channel. he closest access point is the Provide Numbers Feedback item in the Numbers menu.

Regards,

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2019 10:32 AM in response to micomz

No.

Numbers permits up to five Header rows and up to five Header Columns.

Only Header rows and Header columns can be frozen.

Requests to change this, or any, feature of the application can be sent directly to Apple via the Feedback channel. he closest access point is the Provide Numbers Feedback item in the Numbers menu.

Regards,

Barry

Jul 7, 2019 1:28 AM in response to micomz

Are you coming recently from Excel? Numbers does things a little differently. Have a look at the templates at File > New in your menu to see good examples of Numbers documents.

In Excel being able to freeze panes or freeze multiple rows can be very important. That's because an Excel worksheet is one large grid of cells, with different areas of the same big grid often used for different purposes.

Numbers takes a more "modular" approach. It is designed to accommodate multiple tables on a sheet. The tables are typically smaller than what you would see in Excel. There is rarely the need to freeze large parts of them.

So I suggest "breaking up" your work into modules to take advantage of the unique Numbers design.

I use both apps and they complement each other well. Numbers is handy for small to medium-sized projects. Excel is better for large datasets and heavy data-wrangling.

SG

Freezing panes in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.