Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Font Rendering Issue

I did a fresh installation of my OS, then proceeded installing the usual developer tools that I use (and have been using for a long time).

At some point I must've installed something that messed with the system fonts but I can't figure out what was it.

The issue is that I get question marks rendered instead of characters in certain places/apps like the system information app of OS X or the browser rendering a website. Please see attached screenshots as examples.

What I'm looking for is a way to fix the font rendering without reinstalling the system completely.

Any help will be appreciated.

Below is a browser example of how the fonts are messed up:

And here the black/yellow boxes are just me redacting potential PII, question marks are the issue:

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 7, 2019 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2019 12:31 PM

Try going to Applications > Font Book and doing File > Restore Standard Fonts and restarting.

Those crazy numbers are Devanagari script. Did you install some kind of non-Unicode font for Hindi?

2 replies

Font Rendering Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.