Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a formula with a minus percent in it

Hi

Please can someone help. I want to create a formula to minus 1.9% from an amount.

So PayPal charge me a fee of 1.9% every time i take a payment.

I have a column of all my PayPal payments for the day and a total at the bottom, in cell D13. So I want to minus 1.9% from D13. How do i do this?

The only way I can see if i make another column of lots of 1.9% which i don't want to do as it messes up the look of the takings spreadsheet! Also it is just minus-ing 1.9 not 1.9%

Many Thanks :-)

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 8, 2019 12:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2019 12:43 AM

Maybe I'm missing something, but if cell D13 has the sum of your payments, then a new cell with the formula:

D13−(D13×1.9%)

will give you the total minus Paypal's cut.

If you want to eschew the total cell and just show your net payments, then:

SUM(D1:D12)−(SUM(D1:D12)×1.9%)

which does the same thing.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2019 12:43 AM in response to Kirrarama

Maybe I'm missing something, but if cell D13 has the sum of your payments, then a new cell with the formula:

D13−(D13×1.9%)

will give you the total minus Paypal's cut.

If you want to eschew the total cell and just show your net payments, then:

SUM(D1:D12)−(SUM(D1:D12)×1.9%)

which does the same thing.

Jul 8, 2019 3:10 AM in response to Kirrarama

Basing a formula Excel-style on a range like D1:D12 will work in Numbers. But why not take advantage of Footer Rows in Numbers tables to simplify life? For example, you can have two Footer Rows (Table > Footer Rows > 2 in the menu or the equivalent in the inspector at the right) and do something like this:

In B12:

=SUM(B)

In B13:

= B$12*(1−1.9%)

Or, if you just want the net amount in B2, combine the two in this:

=SUM(B)*(1−1.9%)

Not only does using Footer Rows allow for simpler formulas, but you won't have to change the range each time you have a different number of payments to sum. =SUM(B) automatically expands as needed to include all body cells in column B.

SG

Creating a formula with a minus percent in it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.