Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail keeps asking for account passwords

Lately when I open mail, my accounts won't download new mail and I get asked for a password for one of my four email accounts, including iCloud and gmail. Regardless of which one I enter, it doesn't go through, and I get a grey screen that only gives me the option to cancel. I know the passwords are correct. How can I fix this?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 8, 2019 3:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2019 7:50 AM

I think I've deleted everything, but the same thing happened when I tried to enter the passwords. In Apple Mail, I'll be asked for the password, will enter it (definitely the correct one) and press the arrow, then will get a grey screen after that which has a "cancel" box at the bottom, but no other options. This is only happening on my iMac. My MacBook Air and iPhone email are fine. But apparently, even with that grey screen, the Google sign in worked! My mail loaded. So hopefully this solved it. Thanks!

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2019 7:50 AM in response to BDAqua

I think I've deleted everything, but the same thing happened when I tried to enter the passwords. In Apple Mail, I'll be asked for the password, will enter it (definitely the correct one) and press the arrow, then will get a grey screen after that which has a "cancel" box at the bottom, but no other options. This is only happening on my iMac. My MacBook Air and iPhone email are fine. But apparently, even with that grey screen, the Google sign in worked! My mail loaded. So hopefully this solved it. Thanks!

Jul 8, 2019 3:35 AM in response to ShariPotter

Open Keychain Access and find the entries for your email accounts. Delete them.

Note that you may have passwords stored for other things that use your email as a username. Don't delete those, just the entries for the actual email account.

Open Mail and enter the correct password.

This may not work as your situation is different than when I normally see this happen. Usually, it is just one account and the others are fine.

Jul 8, 2019 7:18 AM in response to NineMuses

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

Enter the part after the @sign in the search bar.

You may have duplicate or more entries in Keychain Access.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but likely old passwords interfering.

There''ll be at least 2 entries, maybe more.

Jul 8, 2019 8:21 AM in response to ShariPotter

You can't change it after you marked yours as Solved, can't undo awards... no worry. :)

Have you run Disk first Aid on the iMac or...

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Apple Mail keeps asking for account passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.