Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Comodo RSA Certificate untrusted by Safari but trusted by Firefox

When accessing one of our bank accounts online both my wife and I have been getting a certificate error when entering the bank site's bill paying section. Other parts of the site do not trigger an error. Both us are running El Capitan 10.11.6 (15G22010) and Safari 11.1.2 (11605.3.8.1).

However we only get this error when using Safari! Firefox does not get the error. I checked and this certificate is not in my keychain. I contacted the bank online support and they were unhelpful.

I'm confused about why only Safari is giving this error and wondering if using the online bill paying really isn't safe.

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 5:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2019 9:04 AM

Hi mudbucker,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help with Safari receiving the certificate error on your bank's website. More than likely, your bank's website is working fine since it seems to work in Firefox. You may just need an updated version of Safari.

You can check in the Mac App Store to see if there are any Safari updates for El Capitan. If not you can check to see if your Mac is upgradeable to a newer macOS. This would give you security updates and a newer version of Safari.

Check out these pages:

macOS High Sierra - Technical Specifications

macOS Mojave - Technical Specifications

Here are instructions to upgrade if your Mac is compatible with one of these versions of macOS:

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra

Upgrade to macOS Mojave

Have a fantastic day!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2019 9:04 AM in response to mudbucker

Hi mudbucker,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help with Safari receiving the certificate error on your bank's website. More than likely, your bank's website is working fine since it seems to work in Firefox. You may just need an updated version of Safari.

You can check in the Mac App Store to see if there are any Safari updates for El Capitan. If not you can check to see if your Mac is upgradeable to a newer macOS. This would give you security updates and a newer version of Safari.

Check out these pages:

macOS High Sierra - Technical Specifications

macOS Mojave - Technical Specifications

Here are instructions to upgrade if your Mac is compatible with one of these versions of macOS:

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra

Upgrade to macOS Mojave

Have a fantastic day!

Comodo RSA Certificate untrusted by Safari but trusted by Firefox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.