Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trash - recovery of files deleted from trash

Hi

I am quite simply desperate for help.

We had an an external hard drive that failed, taking with it videos and pictures of our firstborn child from her first 6 months of life. We had had them on our iMac but my husband deleted them into the trash when he thought they were secure on the hard drive. We weren’t too phased as it just meant recovering them from the trash. EXCEPT.....he forgot this and deleted the trash :-(

So I’m asking, as a person who isn’t up on Mac at all (ie I need an explanation in the most basic of forms!) what software can I use, if any, to search for these files on the computer? In the easiest of ways? I am devastated. Particularly as this didn’t happen recently though we never use this computer due to relying purely on iPads for several years. I’m utterly heartbroken and I’d do anything to recover these precious memories.

Many thanks

Kate

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 7:44 AM

Kate if you have been backing up the hard drive by using Time Machine or by creating a bootable clone the data can be recovered there. If you have not and the Trash has been emptied I am sorry but they are gone.

This may be a painful lesson ( I hope not) on why operating ANY computer without a backup plan is vital. Doing so is as certain guarantee or lost data. And there is NO reason to not backup. Many experienced users on these forums have redundant backup plans because yes even a backup can fail!

best of luck!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2019 7:44 AM in response to Kate1908

Kate if you have been backing up the hard drive by using Time Machine or by creating a bootable clone the data can be recovered there. If you have not and the Trash has been emptied I am sorry but they are gone.

This may be a painful lesson ( I hope not) on why operating ANY computer without a backup plan is vital. Doing so is as certain guarantee or lost data. And there is NO reason to not backup. Many experienced users on these forums have redundant backup plans because yes even a backup can fail!

best of luck!

Jul 9, 2019 7:32 AM in response to Kate1908

FWIW, if you still have the broken drive you may be able to install it in a new enclosure to recover the files.

If not, there are several data recovery programs that might get some of your files back. You would need a working external drive to recover them.

One I've had good luck with is iBeesoft Data Recovery.

https://www.ibeesoft.com/data-recovery-software/mac-data-recovery.html

Jul 9, 2019 10:05 PM in response to Kate1908

I would suggest contacting a professional data recovery service such as Drive Savers or Kroll OnTrack. Both are recommended by Apple and other OEMs and both will provide free estimates. We used Drive Savers several times many years ago and were very satisfied with them.

As for recovering items from a drive, it becomes more difficult the more the drive is used since you may overwrite the files you want. You really need to boot from another drive to perform recovery operations, but even then macOS will be indexing the drive which may also overwrite your deleted data. Same can be true if you have AV software installed.

PhotoRec is a free program for recovering deleted items, but I'm not sure if it is compatible with High Sierra and APFS file system.

Data Rescue is a paid app I used to use for recovering data.

When the Trash is emptied all of the links to the filenames may be destroyed. So while your pictures may still be there, you may be searching through thousands of image files to find them. Why so many image files? Every webpage you visit can contain lots of small image files to form the content & layout of the page and all of these old web page images are still on your drive until they are overwritten by something else. It can be very hard to distinguish some of the images from legitimate photos.

It may even be possible to recover the photos from the failed hard drive depending on how bad the failure is. I've been able to successfully recover data from failing drives (even really bad failures) using Linux and free utilities. A professional data recovery service may be able to do so as well since they will sometimes dismantle a failing drive to retrieve data (which I don't do when I recover data). Professional data recovery services may not be as expensive as you think.

And please make sure to have good verified working backups which is even more important when you use SSDs since SSDs can fail without any warning. With SSDs data recovery is more difficult or even impossible. The more important the data, then you should have more than one backup of it.

I highly recommend you check out the professional services I mentioned as any attempts you make will make their job that much harder.

Good luck.

Trash - recovery of files deleted from trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.