Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trash Can full of stuff that I didn't delete

have a 2012 mac mini with with macOS Catalina. II went to restore a file that I had just deleted and to my surprise found my trash can full of photos, documents, videos, and other stuff that I did not delete. I really don't think that I could have accidently deleted them due to the diversity of files. I checked about a dozen of them and found that they are also still in their original locations but some are named differently in the trash can. Is my computer automatically moving stuff to the trash? Thanks for your support.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 10, 2022 6:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2022 8:12 AM

Sounds like you previously deleted (moved) stuff from the flash drive to the trash and did not empty the trash before ejecting and removing the flash drive. If that is the case, then that space is actually still using up space on the flash drive. Now in order to free up that space on the flash drive, you will need to reconnect the flash drive and empty the trash.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2022 8:12 AM in response to DdSwift

Sounds like you previously deleted (moved) stuff from the flash drive to the trash and did not empty the trash before ejecting and removing the flash drive. If that is the case, then that space is actually still using up space on the flash drive. Now in order to free up that space on the flash drive, you will need to reconnect the flash drive and empty the trash.

Trash Can full of stuff that I didn't delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.