Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie downgrade 60fps video to 30 fps (both in project and on export file)

I have made videos in 4K 60fps using iPhone XS Max, both in HEVC using the native camera app and using FiLMiC Pro. When I import the videos into iMovie on my MacBook Pro and tap the information "i" regarding my project, it always say "4K" not "4K 60", and when exporting the file it only gives "4K" as an option for resolution, not "4K 60fps". When checking the exported file in QuckTime it says FPS: 29.97. iMovie has somewhere downgraded the video FPS.

What am I doing wrong? (I have of course made sure there are no other frame rates/resolutions in the beginning of/or in the projects - I've made them 100% 60 fps to make sure for this experiment)

Is it possible my MacBook can't edit 60 fps in iMovie? I'm running on Mojave 10.14.5 on a MacBook Pro Retina 11.1 (late 2013), 2,8 GHz Dual Core Intel i7, Turbo Boost up to 3,3 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

(On a side note, even in the iMovie iOS app the "save to Files" downgrade 4K videos to 1080p, only when I save to camera roll I get 4K, sounds fishy too)

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 9:31 AM

iMovie supports project timeline editing of 4k 30p, and 1080 60p, but not 4k 60p.

As you have found, when you add a 4k 60p clip as the first clip added to a newly created project, the project will be set at 4k but the frame rate will be reduced to 30fps. The share out option will be 4k, and the shared out movie will be 4k 30fps.

However, you can import a 4k 60p clip into an event, and share it out from the library Browser at 4k 60p. Your editing from the Browser would be limited to cropping, adding filters, color correction and some sound adjustments.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2019 9:31 AM in response to valmont74

iMovie supports project timeline editing of 4k 30p, and 1080 60p, but not 4k 60p.

As you have found, when you add a 4k 60p clip as the first clip added to a newly created project, the project will be set at 4k but the frame rate will be reduced to 30fps. The share out option will be 4k, and the shared out movie will be 4k 30fps.

However, you can import a 4k 60p clip into an event, and share it out from the library Browser at 4k 60p. Your editing from the Browser would be limited to cropping, adding filters, color correction and some sound adjustments.

-- Rich

iMovie downgrade 60fps video to 30 fps (both in project and on export file)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.