Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Avoid Missing Gmail Emails in Apple Mac Mail

occasionally & randomly individual Gmail emails will not arrive in Mac Mail (setup as IMAP). 

i've done the "rebuild mailbox", the "synchronize account", the "re-indexing" etc. i don't think it's a spotlight issue nor any sort of corruption requiring a complete redo. there must be another reason(?).

i can have Gmail open in a web browser (Safari/Chrome) and the Mac Mail.app open side-by-side and looking in the inbox, there are a small few emails that appear in the browser & do not appear in the Mail.app.

if i give these emails a "label" in Gmail (browser), then go look in those associated "folders" in the Mail.app, then those emails appear. from there, in the Mail.app i can move those emails back to the Inbox and they will appear & behave as they should in both the browser & mail app.

i cannot find any sort of pattern with the emails that don't come thru. there's no consistency. they aren't all from the same places & some are plain text where some are html. i've looked at the headers & raw source for them but nothing stands out that looks wrong or potentially wrong.

so my question is NOT how to fix missing messages - rather, it IS how to prevent this from happening in the first place. because, i rely on my Mail.app for email; i don't log in to Gmail via a web browser very often at all. so i won't know if a message doesn't come thru unless my missing one causes consequences that come to my attention. so how can i guarantee ALL emails in Gmail will come thru in the Mac.app?

thanks.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 6:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 7:37 PM

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Also, an old trick...

Make a new Smart Mailbox that only includes Unread Mails, do they show in that Smartbox?

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2019 7:37 PM in response to syberknight

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Also, an old trick...

Make a new Smart Mailbox that only includes Unread Mails, do they show in that Smartbox?

Sep 6, 2019 6:17 PM in response to BDAqua

hello & apologies again for the delay. it's been a tough week working this all out. i ended up "GIVING UP". along with the sheer frustration this has been, and now with the complete lack of confidence that it'll ever work right again, AND with all the news & videos i've read/watched about Google's privacy issues & tactics, i just decided to completely give up!

by that, i mean, i spent the entire week migrating ALL my various Google/Gmail/Gsuite accounts away from Google altogether.

for my Gmail accounts, i switched to iCloud.com's services.

for my Gsuite accounts, i switched to Zoho.com's services.

both of which, seem to work really well in my macOS Mail app.

so, for me, this issue can be considered closed - i must move on to other life & work things ;-)

✌🏼

PS: if interested, that other forum thread is @ https://support.google.com/mail/thread/11919321

Aug 20, 2019 3:31 PM in response to BDAqua

hi BDAqua, sorry for the delayed reply; i didn't get any notification of your message. i just happened to come back to my post to see if there were any replies. odd, cause i am following/subscribed. oh well...

unfortunately, i don't think it has anything to do with "my" system as i know others who are experiencing the same thing.

plus, i do/have a smart mailbox for unread mails - makes no difference.

i recently made a different post on Google support for a "similar" issue; am wondering if the two are tied to the same problem. i am thinking that either Google or Apple made a change in their software which now conflicts with the other.

if curious, here's that post... https://support.google.com/mail/thread/11919321

thanks.

Aug 28, 2019 5:33 PM in response to BDAqua

i'm on 10.14.6.

i answered your question about folders in the other thread.

so, do you have another third-party IMAP account (something besides gmail) that you manage in Mac Mail.app along side gmail?

if you move a message from the other inbox in to a folder (not inbox) in your gmail account, does it actually show up in that folder?

with me, it disappears, only to be found by logging in to gmail via web browser & finding it un-labeled in the All Mail folder.

Aug 28, 2019 9:54 PM in response to syberknight

I don't know where the other thread is, but I'll be darned... moved from another IMAP Inbox to gMail's Draft box, it disappeared, not showing in Mail gMail Drafts box, but searching in Mail showed it was in some Draft folder, moved it back & it was OK.

Moved it again & logged into gmail.com in a browser, it showed in Drafts in gMail>WebMail.

Avoid Missing Gmail Emails in Apple Mac Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.