Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk utility won’t mount disk

i have a 2009 MacBook Pro that hasn’t been working for a long time. Recently I wanted to try to getting working again. Thinking the original problem was a software problem (I used it for games) I decided to wipe the hard drive. The new hard drive is unmounted and I cannot mount it. This question has been asked before and I was using their method of solving it (using terminal to force the mount). After I typed in the command to mount it for both mount/dev/disk# and mount force/dev/disk# I came up with two errors. The normal mount says “no such file or directory” the other says “unknown special file or file system”. How do I solve this? I will continue to try and fix this on my own until I get a response.

MacBook

Posted on Jul 10, 2019 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2019 8:20 PM

Try This: Using another Mac, you should be able to create a Bootable Installer of El Capitan.

Once created, boot into Recovery Mode (hold down Command+R at boot) on this computer, erase the disk, and then create a volume of: Extended(Journalized).

From there, try the install off of the bootable installer.

This all comes down to the format of the volume and the format of the installer.

Two Links to Use:

1. Create a bootable installer for macOS --- Create El Capitan Type
  2. How to erase a disk for Mac - Create a volume using Extended(Journalized)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2019 8:20 PM in response to Thatgothkat

Try This: Using another Mac, you should be able to create a Bootable Installer of El Capitan.

Once created, boot into Recovery Mode (hold down Command+R at boot) on this computer, erase the disk, and then create a volume of: Extended(Journalized).

From there, try the install off of the bootable installer.

This all comes down to the format of the volume and the format of the installer.

Two Links to Use:

1. Create a bootable installer for macOS --- Create El Capitan Type
  2. How to erase a disk for Mac - Create a volume using Extended(Journalized)

Disk utility won’t mount disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.