Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro HD showing in DiskUtility but unable to mount via Terminal

After erasing my HD to restore to an earlier version, it's no longer mounted and I'm unable to mount via Terminal.

I've tried verify and repair, neither of which are showing an issue, and both "mount" and "force mount" via terminal, neither of which seem to be helping!

Photos (a bit blurry) of all my poor attempts at fixing this. If anyone can spot a stupid error or help at all, greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 7:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 9:07 PM

I don't read sideways. My neck can't tilt and read. However, thank you for your concern over blurriness. Here's what you can do given the lack of information provided. I think this will accomplish what you wanted to do. You will need to do a Network Recovery inasmuch as the drive does not contain a Recovery Volume.

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible, back up your files before proceeding.

You will need a fast, working Internet connection, preferably, Ethernet. If you must use Wi-Fi, you will be asked to select your network and enter the network password. This procedure will install the current version of macOS that is compatible with your model.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Provide a volume name, usually "Macintosh HD."
  9. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  10. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  11. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2020 9:07 PM in response to Carnub

I don't read sideways. My neck can't tilt and read. However, thank you for your concern over blurriness. Here's what you can do given the lack of information provided. I think this will accomplish what you wanted to do. You will need to do a Network Recovery inasmuch as the drive does not contain a Recovery Volume.

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible, back up your files before proceeding.

You will need a fast, working Internet connection, preferably, Ethernet. If you must use Wi-Fi, you will be asked to select your network and enter the network password. This procedure will install the current version of macOS that is compatible with your model.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Provide a volume name, usually "Macintosh HD."
  9. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  10. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  11. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

MacBook Pro HD showing in DiskUtility but unable to mount via Terminal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.