Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can only boot windows using ALT and EFI BOOT on startup

Mac mini, 2 drives, Mojave macOS, Windows 10 peecee

successfully installed Bootcamp and Windows 10 on second drive... all was working well.

POWER ON would auto boot straight into Windows (what I wanted)

Went to repair the lack of audio on the windows side and from then on I cannot now auto boot

error "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

I have to hold ALT and select EFI DRIVE and then it will work.

I've tried setting the STARTUP DISK under the mac side, no joy.

I cannot see a system tray icon for Bootcamp under Windows 10 side.

and I'm going round in an infinite loop trying to make a USB with the Windows Startup Repair Software via bootcamp under the Mac side (various errors each time, IF it will download at all)

Any suggestions?

TIA

Posted on Jul 11, 2019 4:38 AM

Similar questions

14 replies

Jul 16, 2019 4:27 AM in response to Loner T

thanks I will when I get a second...

Interestingly I found another thread you took part in:

macOS Mojave 10.14.3 update broke Windows 10 bootcamp startup selection on MacBook Air 2018

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250210742?answerId=250436908022#250436908022

and I recall that all was auto booting fine into Windows until I also did the latest Mojave update on the Mac side 10.14.5

since then it broke the auto boot.

While I do not wish to question your EFI suggestion or knowledge on this matter,

I'm left thinking that something simple got upset following that macOS update

If I set STARTUP DISK to Windows on the Mac Side, it fails with a black screen NO BOOTABLE DEVICE error

If I hold ALT and Arrow/Tab to EFI then hold CTRL (to get the circular icon) it will boot the second time with a blue Windows RECOVERY error - Your PC NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED message, and the three options are useless.

the only way to boot into Windows each time is hold ALT and select EFI manually!

Also the BootCamp control panel in Windows 10 ONLY shows me F key options...NOTHING else, should that be right?

Kind regards

Jul 16, 2019 2:45 PM in response to havinabubble

havinabubble wrote:

thanks I will when I get a second...

Interestingly I found another thread you took part in:

macOS Mojave 10.14.3 update broke Windows 10 bootcamp startup selection on MacBook Air 2018
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250210742?answerId=250436908022#250436908022

The MBA is a single-disk Mac. Your 2012 Mini is a server with two disks, which complicates the situation.

and I recall that all was auto booting fine into Windows until I also did the latest Mojave update on the Mac side 10.14.5

since then it broke the auto boot.

If there is a Microsoft directory in the EFI partition of BC disk, it should be recognized. We should check the BCD. Due to the two-disk setup, if the BCD points to a specific disk, but disk order is different, boot of Windows can fail. To test this, if you disconnect the disk which does not have BC, you can test the single-disk setup.

The No Bootable disk error can also come from the EFI firmware attempting a BIOS boot, when there is no MBR.

While I do not wish to question your EFI suggestion or knowledge on this matter,
I'm left thinking that something simple got upset following that macOS update

It is fine to question. No worries! MacOS update has been known to cause issues with legacy BIOS boot Macs, because it resets the MBR. It can also initialize the EFI partition.

If I set STARTUP DISK to Windows on the Mac Side, it fails with a black screen NO BOOTABLE DEVICE error

If I hold ALT and Arrow/Tab to EFI then hold CTRL (to get the circular icon) it will boot the second time with a blue Windows RECOVERY error - Your PC NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED message, and the three options are useless.

the only way to boot into Windows each time is hold ALT and select EFI manually!

This indicates that the EFI Boot is pointing to the incorrect device, in some cases.

Also the BootCamp control panel in Windows 10 ONLY shows me F key options...NOTHING else, should that be right?

Did you upgrade to Mojave from a previous version of macOS (High Sierra or older)?

Jul 12, 2019 7:18 AM in response to Loner T

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0

1: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 999.7 GB disk0s1

2: Windows Recovery 535.8 MB disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_APFS Container disk2 1000.0 GB disk1s2

/dev/disk2 (synthesized):

0: APFS Container Scheme - +1000.0 GB disk2

Physical Store disk1s2

1: APFS Volume Server HD 69.6 GB disk2s1

2: APFS Volume Preboot 46.2 MB disk2s2

3: APFS Volume Recovery 506.8 MB disk2s3

4: APFS Volume VM 2.1 GB disk2s4

/dev/disk3 (disk image):

0: GUID_partition_scheme +2.0 TB disk3

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk3s1

2: Apple_HFS Time Machine Backups 2.0 TB disk3s2

Jul 12, 2019 8:09 AM in response to havinabubble

A 2012 Mac does not correctly support EFI boot. It is a preUEFI Mac, so the Windows installation should use a BIOS/MBR overlay for the installation.

If you installed using EFI, it will cause issues with Audio and System Preferences -> Startup Disks will look for an MBR to boot from. Before your attempt to fix the Audio issue, was the installation mode EFI?

Jul 12, 2019 8:14 AM in response to Loner T

presume so... didn't change anything, the Bootcamp setup just did its thing.

Once setup and auto booting into Windows 10, I noticed there was no sound.

So I attempted (and struggled as I still am) to download the WIndows Support Software.

I finally got a folder onto a key manually, but the setup wouldn't run

found the Audio driver setup in one of the folders and ran that, sound returned, all was good.

But noticed the auto boot had stopped

Jul 12, 2019 9:08 AM in response to havinabubble

so I finally ran that support installer, and I now have a Bootcamp control panel over in Windows

(not that its much use, just allows me to set function keys)

What's the easiest way to clean this boot issue up?

backup the entire running WIndows PC using something like Acronis

then totally reinstall bootcamp? and restore my files?

Starting from scratch what SHOULD the hard drive be formatted as for a windows 10 installation?

can only boot windows using ALT and EFI BOOT on startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.