Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows only boots when I use ALT and EFI BOOT on startup, booting from Start Up Disk gives "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

The tittle pretty much explains my issue, but to go further, I installed Windows 10 on a MBP mid 2012using bootcamp assistant, well the installation crashed after installing BCA on windows, but i solved that (after millions of words read (Windows 10 Kernel Security Check Failure … - Apple Community) and videos watched and clean windows installations). That aside, I was having issues with the audio until i found out i will never have audio if i boot using EFI. I came across an article talking about this but unfortunately it is no longer active can only boot windows using ALT and EFI B… - Apple Community

I want to boot from BC without getting "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

Anyone with a suggestion? I'd appreciate

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 9:14 PM

Yaaay! I finally managed to fix it! It is all about what tool you use to install it, and what selection you make when you press+hold ALT during installation. I will be making a video soon and link it here to show how i did it bc i think i am not good enough to explain in typing XD.

1. You must use Bootcamp Assistant
  2. Select "Windows during installation, not EFI"
  3. Install and update BCA on windows

(i have already installed windows that is why it is visible as the first option)

This is what happens when you install from EFI

1. When you select BOOTCAMP as your boot drive on System preferences, you will get "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" error
  2. Multiple BSOD including Windows 10 Kernel Security Check Failure … - Apple Community (follow that thread to fix it if you do not wish to start over your installation)
  3. No sound, which you can fix in a lenghthy process ofc, see these two articles

4) You cant boot without using ALT and EFI BOOT on startup

(my first wrong installation)

I HOPE THIS FIXES YOUR ISSUES

I am currently typing this from my Win 11 installation

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2022 9:14 PM in response to vikshan

Yaaay! I finally managed to fix it! It is all about what tool you use to install it, and what selection you make when you press+hold ALT during installation. I will be making a video soon and link it here to show how i did it bc i think i am not good enough to explain in typing XD.

1. You must use Bootcamp Assistant
  2. Select "Windows during installation, not EFI"
  3. Install and update BCA on windows

(i have already installed windows that is why it is visible as the first option)

This is what happens when you install from EFI

1. When you select BOOTCAMP as your boot drive on System preferences, you will get "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" error
  2. Multiple BSOD including Windows 10 Kernel Security Check Failure … - Apple Community (follow that thread to fix it if you do not wish to start over your installation)
  3. No sound, which you can fix in a lenghthy process ofc, see these two articles

4) You cant boot without using ALT and EFI BOOT on startup

(my first wrong installation)

I HOPE THIS FIXES YOUR ISSUES

I am currently typing this from my Win 11 installation

Windows only boots when I use ALT and EFI BOOT on startup, booting from Start Up Disk gives "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.