Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 Kernel Security Check Failure on a Mac Pro with Boot Camp

I've just installed Windows 10 1909 on a Mac Pro 5.1 running High Sierra. There've been quite a few hurdles along the way but I've eventually managed to get it done and install Boot Camp drivers as well.

Soon after, I started getting a BSOD with a Kernel Security Check Failure error. After coming across some discussions here, I tried resetting both the SMC and the NVRAM.

It worked, but only kind of — instead of the BSOD appearing during the login screen or soon after logging in, it now only appears when I try to reset or shut down the computer, otherwise everything works ok after logging in and I can work for hours.

After I try to shut down/restart, the BSOD appears and then the computer automatically restarts. Then, the BSOD reappears again, either already during the login screen or usually soon after logging in and the cycle continues. If I reset the NVRAM again, it works again, but only until I try to shut down/restart again.

I'm at my wit's end, so I would be really grateful for some advice.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 5:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2020 1:39 PM

There is a reference to AppleHFS.sys and AppleMNT.sys which can also be problematic. As a test, rename these two files to .sys.bak in Safe Mode and try to install bootcampdrivers.com drivers when you are booted normally using the Basic Display Adapter.

Similar questions

15 replies

Feb 2, 2020 4:28 AM in response to Aethevig

Aethevig wrote:

Hi, no, it's a 5.1 (Mid 2010, 2x 2.4 GHz Xeon, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD (OWC) and ATI Radeon HD 5870).

A 2010 Mac does not have Apple-certified W10 drivers. However, standard WHQL drivers should work. Do you have any external peripherals connected to the MP when you switch to W10?

Not sure if it's relevant, but I did do a firmware upgrade before installing High Sierra.

I assume you are referring to Update firmware on Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Apple Support.

Feb 2, 2020 4:51 AM in response to Loner T

Would you mind going into a bit more detail regarding the WHQL drivers and what I should do? Disable any Apple/Boot Camp ones and install those (if so, how/where?)

Do you have any external peripherals connected to the MP when you switch to W10?

No, just the wired keyboard and Mighty Mouse. The Bluetooth ones are connected as well I think, but I prefer to have the USB ones for all the resets and such.

I assume you are referring to Update firmware on Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Apple Support.

Yes, exactly.

Feb 2, 2020 5:08 AM in response to Aethevig

Aethevig wrote:

Would you mind going into a bit more detail regarding the WHQL drivers and what I should do? Disable any Apple/Boot Camp ones and install those (if so, how/where?)

Do you have any external peripherals connected to the MP when you switch to W10?

Windows Update will normally provide updated drivers for your installed hardware. Some of these drivers may not be from Apple BC Assistant downloads. You should not need to disable any drivers.

Also, take a look at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/315263/how-to-read-the-small-memory-dump-file-that-is-created-by-windows-if-a if you have a MiniDump that can be analyzed further.

Feb 2, 2020 7:12 AM in response to Loner T

Hi! As of this afternoon, the reset-NVRAM-and-carry-on-as-normal trick doesn't seem to work anymore. I now get a BSOD every time, either within a minute of logging in or already during the login screen, if I linger around for a bit too long. So I can't run the Windows Update.

I can login in Safe Mode (with Networking), but then the Windows Update doesn't work. And I also can't download the Debugging Tools in Safe Mode. Below are Google Drive links to the last two Small Memory Dump files, if there's a way for you to open them.

Thanks so much for your help!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lWn7BHocc5ELP9yAb9jkMMM47x4BiGDX
https://drive.google.com/open?id=17Vj5kJyCGLUaZV_3qe-t1wOXOxc5o82h

Feb 2, 2020 11:37 AM in response to Loner T

Hope this is correct (via Device Manager):

Driver Provider: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Driver Date: 14/12/2013
Driver Version: 13.250.28.1000
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

If I click on the Update Driver button, it says "The best drivers for your device are already installed", but I'm not sure if this is because it's in Safe Mode.

I did find this on the ATI website (https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/ati-radeon-hd-5000-series/ati-radeon-hd-5870) for Windows 10 x64 — Catalyst Software Suite (15.7.1 WHQL) and Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta (Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta).

Would it make sense to install one or both of them? And if so, is it ok/possible to do it in Safe Mode? It's my only way in at the moment.

Feb 2, 2020 12:22 PM in response to Loner T

It is. Actually, at first I installed 1709, because it's what I had, but I got a BSOD soon after installing Boot Camp, so I then downloaded the latest ISO (1909) from Microsoft's webpage and did a clean install with that one. Not sure if it's relevant though.

I'll try to install the Adrenalin 19.11.1 from bootcampdrivers.com now.

Feb 2, 2020 1:06 PM in response to Aethevig

I tried installing the bootcampdrivers.com one and while I could delete the existing drivers in Safe Mode (I now have the Windows Basic Display Adapter) I couldn't then install the driver itself, because when it rebooted into normal mode, I got BSOD within a minute and it restarted, and if I tried to install it in Safe Mode it said Detection driver error. In normal mode it does detect the card/driver and moves forward to give installation options, but then BSOD appears before it can begin installing.

I also tried with the official drivers from AMD's website (both Catalyst and Crimson, as I'm not sure if they're the same thing and if I should install both or just one of them) and it was the same story — starts to install, then says We are unable to find a driver for your system. No supported AMD hardware was detected.

Anyway, as I'm now running on the Windows Basic Display Adapter, it makes me think it might not be the display drivers causing the BSOD?

Feb 2, 2020 2:34 PM in response to Loner T

That seems to have done it! Thank you so very much! The bootcampdrivers.com drivers are installed and no BSOD to be seen!

As far as I understand, AppleHFS.sys and AppleMNT.sys are only used for mounting the macOS volume/partition? If that's all, I don't really mind if I can't mount it/see it from Windows.

Is there anything else I would need to have a look at or set up now or is this it and I can just go an use it normally?

Also, can I use the Apple Software Update within Windows or is better not to (in case it tries to reinstall AppleHFS.sys and AppleMNT.sys or something like that)? It just popped up with a Wi-Fi Update for Boot Camp (6.4.0), Boot Camp Update (6.1.9) and Apple Software Update (2.1.4)?

Windows 10 Kernel Security Check Failure on a Mac Pro with Boot Camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.