Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to get option to disable remote control

how to disable remote control in system security prefs . the option does not appear when i click advanced

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 11, 2019 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2019 2:24 AM

As far as I can establish the iMac 27" 5K mid 2015 never had a built-in IR receiver and therefore as Barney-15E says there is nothing to disable. In fact I would tend to suspect none of the metal i.e. aluminium iMacs have had an IR receiver only the older plastic ones.

For those interested it is possible to plug in an external USB receiver and install a driver to add the capability to use an IR remote e.g. to control iTunes or DVD Player or similar.

No Mac currently being made now has a built-in IR receiver. The Mac mini was the last model to feature this and the 2018 update removed it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2019 2:24 AM in response to jmickey42

As far as I can establish the iMac 27" 5K mid 2015 never had a built-in IR receiver and therefore as Barney-15E says there is nothing to disable. In fact I would tend to suspect none of the metal i.e. aluminium iMacs have had an IR receiver only the older plastic ones.

For those interested it is possible to plug in an external USB receiver and install a driver to add the capability to use an IR remote e.g. to control iTunes or DVD Player or similar.

No Mac currently being made now has a built-in IR receiver. The Mac mini was the last model to feature this and the 2018 update removed it.

how to get option to disable remote control

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.