Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to change wireless network password on my mac

Can somebody please help ? I need to change the wireless password for my network.

i can't find the way to the solution. I am going to system preferences, network name but i only can remove the network and add it again with my current password. But i want to delete the current password and set up a new one. How can i do this?

Posted on Jul 11, 2019 5:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2019 5:46 PM

The WiFi password needs to be changed on the WiFi router (or whatever device provides WiFi for your home).

How this is done is different for each make and model WiFi router.

If this is an Apple Airport Extreme, Airport Express or Time Capsule, then look at Applications -> Utilities -> Airport Utility

If the router is from your ISP, then you may be able to call them and get them to change it for you.

Other wise you generally fire up a web browser (such as Safari) and use the WiFi router's local IP address, such as 192.168.1.1 (but a lot depends on what the router uses as its address; eg. 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.3.1 or 10.0.0.1 or 10.0.1.1 or 172.16.1.1 etc...)

It is best if you actually find the WiFi router's manuals online and read how they change the WiFi password, and what the default WiFi route's IP address is.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2019 5:46 PM in response to WalterGeorg

The WiFi password needs to be changed on the WiFi router (or whatever device provides WiFi for your home).

How this is done is different for each make and model WiFi router.

If this is an Apple Airport Extreme, Airport Express or Time Capsule, then look at Applications -> Utilities -> Airport Utility

If the router is from your ISP, then you may be able to call them and get them to change it for you.

Other wise you generally fire up a web browser (such as Safari) and use the WiFi router's local IP address, such as 192.168.1.1 (but a lot depends on what the router uses as its address; eg. 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.3.1 or 10.0.0.1 or 10.0.1.1 or 172.16.1.1 etc...)

It is best if you actually find the WiFi router's manuals online and read how they change the WiFi password, and what the default WiFi route's IP address is.

Jul 11, 2019 5:53 PM in response to WalterGeorg

Thinking about this. If the WiFi router's password was changed by your home/work admin, and you have been told the new password, but need to give this information to your Mac, then generally your Mac will prompt you when the old password no longer works.

You can also try clicking on the WiFi icon

And select "Join Other Network", then fill in all the information

how to change wireless network password on my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.