Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photos

Hey!

In my iCloud, i have 2 TB of storage, and om my iPhone and iPad i only have 64 GB of storage. So my question is, is it possible to only have my photos in the iCloud and not on my devices? Otherwise it makes no sense to me, to have 2 TB storage in the iCloud, when i only Can have less amount of photos on my devices.

Hopes it makes sense. Write if there is any question to my question.

Regards

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 11, 2019 9:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2019 8:09 AM

iCloud Photos is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photos is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to iCloud Photos. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

Having more storage on iCloud than on your phone can make sense in some cases due to the Optimization option for photos described above and for other reasons such as using it to do iCloud Backups of multiple devices or using iCloud Drive Desktop and Documents from a Mac computer.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2019 8:09 AM in response to Magnus2011

iCloud Photos is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photos is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to iCloud Photos. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

Having more storage on iCloud than on your phone can make sense in some cases due to the Optimization option for photos described above and for other reasons such as using it to do iCloud Backups of multiple devices or using iCloud Drive Desktop and Documents from a Mac computer.

iCloud Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.