Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini (2018) - WiFi / Bluetooth problem

Hello. Recently I adquired the new Mac Mini model. Everything was working fine until I tried to connect a dongle USB (it works fine with my Macbook Air and all my Windows devices). The thing is, once you connect the USB dongle, the WiFi stops working and the Magic Keyboard keeps disconnecting and connecting. Everything starts to work again once you disconnect the dongle USB. I don't really know if this is a known issue that can be solved by update or what but is quite annoying.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 12, 2019 3:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2019 6:28 AM

Exactly what USB dongle is causing the problem?

It is a known fact that poorly shielded USB 3 cables and devises can cause both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth interference and problems.

Have a look > Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support where it say's,

If you're using USB 3 devices with your computer, you can limit their potential to interfere with nearby wireless devices:

• Use a high-quality, shielded USB cable with each USB 3 device.
  • Move your USB 3 devices—including any USB hubs—farther away from your wireless devices.
  • Connect USB 3 devices to the ports farthest from your computer's Wi-Fi antenna. For example, if your computer has ports on the back, prefer the USB ports closest to the middle. If your computer has ports on the side, prefer the USB ports closest to the front.
  • Turn off any USB 3 devices that aren't in use.

Or at > https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/usb-3.0-hard-drives-can-cause-wi-fi-interference

USB 3.0 connectors and cables can radiate interference in the 2.4 GHz spectrum that causes Wi-Fi and Bluetooth signals to intermittently drop out when they're near the antennas. For the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air, those antennas happen to be near the screen hinges along the back of the computer.

Because the Mac Mini's wireless card and antenna are in such close proximity to the USB ports. It is imperative that you use thicker better shielded USB 3 cables and that all USB 3 devices are far away from Bluetooth devices and not in-between the Mac Mini and Wi-Fi Router.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2019 6:28 AM in response to S0mniac

Exactly what USB dongle is causing the problem?

It is a known fact that poorly shielded USB 3 cables and devises can cause both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth interference and problems.

Have a look > Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support where it say's,

If you're using USB 3 devices with your computer, you can limit their potential to interfere with nearby wireless devices:

• Use a high-quality, shielded USB cable with each USB 3 device.
  • Move your USB 3 devices—including any USB hubs—farther away from your wireless devices.
  • Connect USB 3 devices to the ports farthest from your computer's Wi-Fi antenna. For example, if your computer has ports on the back, prefer the USB ports closest to the middle. If your computer has ports on the side, prefer the USB ports closest to the front.
  • Turn off any USB 3 devices that aren't in use.

Or at > https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/usb-3.0-hard-drives-can-cause-wi-fi-interference

USB 3.0 connectors and cables can radiate interference in the 2.4 GHz spectrum that causes Wi-Fi and Bluetooth signals to intermittently drop out when they're near the antennas. For the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air, those antennas happen to be near the screen hinges along the back of the computer.

Because the Mac Mini's wireless card and antenna are in such close proximity to the USB ports. It is imperative that you use thicker better shielded USB 3 cables and that all USB 3 devices are far away from Bluetooth devices and not in-between the Mac Mini and Wi-Fi Router.

Jul 17, 2019 3:49 AM in response to den.thed

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Here I will attach a picture of my dongle. It seems to be made with good quality materials. The thing is that I don't have anything connected to it when I plug it in the Mac Mini and all the switches are off. Even with all of this the WiFi keeps disconnected and the bluetooth starts to give me problems.

I've been thought on buying a Usb-c addapter but do you think that I'll have the same problem if I choose a cheap one? Because these buddies here are a bit expensive :P

Mac Mini (2018) - WiFi / Bluetooth problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.