Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Pro apps bundle for education" - can this bundle be used in a country where this "bundle" is not available?

I stay in a country where Apple does not have this Pro app bundle for education(Appstore here has all the apps i from that bundle though to purchase but not as a bundle, and the Apple website does not have the "bundle" out here). Now my cousin who is a student stays in the US. So, If I share my apple id and pwd, will my cousin be able to purchase the bundle there(has US address, US credit card and student ID) so that after purchasing I can use the bundle here in my country in my MAC?

Posted on Jul 12, 2019 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2019 2:10 PM

No, you and your cousin may not do this.

1. Your Apple ID for another country cannot be used with US stores. To use the US stores you must be a legal resident of the US, and have your own payment method for the US. If that payment method is a credit card in your name, it must be issued by a US bank and have a verifiable US billing address.
  2. You are not a student enrolled at the college or university attended by your cousin and so you are not eligible for the education bundle intended for US students only.

ASC - Late 2012 Mac mini, macOS 10.14.5; Watch, series 3 cellular, watchOS 5.2.1; iPad Air 2 & iPhone 8+, iOS 12.3.2; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 12.3;  HomePods, audioOS 12.3 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2019 2:10 PM in response to Virgo_Guy

No, you and your cousin may not do this.

1. Your Apple ID for another country cannot be used with US stores. To use the US stores you must be a legal resident of the US, and have your own payment method for the US. If that payment method is a credit card in your name, it must be issued by a US bank and have a verifiable US billing address.
  2. You are not a student enrolled at the college or university attended by your cousin and so you are not eligible for the education bundle intended for US students only.

ASC - Late 2012 Mac mini, macOS 10.14.5; Watch, series 3 cellular, watchOS 5.2.1; iPad Air 2 & iPhone 8+, iOS 12.3.2; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 12.3;  HomePods, audioOS 12.3 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Jul 16, 2019 2:40 PM in response to Virgo_Guy

I have been in this specific forum, the Mac App Store, of the Apple Support Communities, since the beta testing of the Mac App Store. I am the longest serving volunteer, as well as the All Time top volunteer, in the Mac App Store.

https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_app_store/using_mac_apple_store?atab=all-time

Expressing dissatisfaction with a policy here in the Apple Support Community, is expressing disagreement with that policy! The forum hosts remove comments that express "dissatisfaction" from the forums daily. They haven't bothered this particular topic's thread because they likely feel that it is a question that needs a proper answer in this forum and because I have managed to keep this conversation within the Terms of Agreement by pointing out your encroachment on possibly violating the policy.

You can see that the Hosts are well aware of this thread in the Mac App Store forum by their designation above that I have supplied the solution to the question regarding the purchase of the app bundle, designating my comment as Apple Recommended.

Jul 14, 2019 12:14 PM in response to Dah•veed

1. Exactly! The ability to redownload if moved to a different country might not be available. Hence he/she might require to purchase again or might not require - I do not know. Since all the individual apps are available to download but not just as "a bundle", I would have appreciated if someone with experience could answer to that with clarifications. Please excuse.
  2. I will laugh, neighter I am asking Apple's business or product decision at all, nor I am breaking any terms of use of the forum/nor having any intention to break.

Jul 14, 2019 10:38 PM in response to Dah•veed

1. "A student irrespective of geographical locations is a student" - Saying so, does not mean I was verging on a violation of the Terms of Use to which I agreed when you opened your account here in the Apple Support Communities. I am well aware of the terms and conditions and nowhere what I questioned/discussed was breaking it. As such, unnecessary moral policing was not required.
  2. I think few times I already mentioned that those apps are sold in the appstore, just not as a "bundle" yet. So a person who bought the "bundle" in a country and then moved to another country where the bundle is not available(but all apps in that "bundle" are available independently) will have better knowledge about what I asked. Thanks for your support even though it did not help at all.

Jul 14, 2019 2:53 AM in response to Dah•veed

So it means if a student buys that bundle in any of the total 35 countries so far(where it's available for "discounted price for students, not just the US) and then moves to a different country then he/she will have to buy the bundle again and that too with its full price. This should not have been this scenario since a student irrespective of geographical locations across the globe is a student. I being a professional can get over it to an extent, but not many of my family members who are students or any student for that matter.

Jul 14, 2019 5:15 AM in response to Virgo_Guy

So it means if a student buys that bundle in any of the total 35 countries so far(where it's available for "discounted price for students, not just the US) and then moves to a different country then he/she will have to buy the bundle again and that too with its full price.

No, it doesn't mean that at all. Once someone has paid for the licensed copies of the apps, the copies remain their copies to use. They may, however, loose the ability to redownload or update those apps at some point in the future should they move to a country and associate their account with that country's store where those apps are not sold.

This should not have been this scenario since a student irrespective of geographical locations across the globe is a student.

You are now verging on a violation of the Terms of Use to which you agreed when you opened your account here in the Apple Support Communities. You agreed not to question Apple's business or product decisions in this forum. Where and when Apple offers an app bundle discount is an Apple decision. Further questioning or complaining will likely get your comments removed from these forums by the Host team.

Jul 14, 2019 3:09 PM in response to Virgo_Guy

I would have appreciated if someone with experience could answer to that with clarifications. Please excuse.

I have experience and I have answered your question with complete clarification of the policy.

[N]either I am [questioning] Apple's business or product decision at all,

Then you are agreeing with the policy that they may loose the ability to redownload or update those apps at some point in the future should they move to a country and associate their account with that country's store where those apps are not sold.

Jul 15, 2019 12:39 AM in response to Virgo_Guy

"The bundle" is only special pricing for the individual apps when bought together. They don't function as only a bundle and if one moves to a country where the "bundle" wasn't offered to students, one doesn't have to replace them by rebuying the individual apps.

If one buys the apps in one country, say where one attended a foreign university, and then returned home, one would then need to change the country to which one's account was associated to one's home country. Since the Purchase list is specific to the country in whose store one's account is associated, the list would be empty until one purchased an app in one's home country. Because of this, one would not be notified about updates or upgrades to the apps that one bought in the store associated with the country where one attended school. But one would not lose use of those apps.

If one heard through the grapevine that one of those apps has an update available and one tried to update one's copy, the system would see it as a new purchase at first and try to charge for the app. But as one went through the steps of buying the app, the system would eventually recognize the one bought this app previously through another country's store and then offer the update for free. The app would now appear in the Purchase list for the home country and one would be alerted to future updates for the app.

However, any apps one bought in another country's store that weren't sold in one's home country's store, could not be updated as in the above scenario.

As a dual national, I have firsthand experience with, not only buying a previous bundle offered by Apple in the past, but also with changing the country with which my account is associated.

Jul 16, 2019 8:54 AM in response to Virgo_Guy

...A student irrespective of geographical locations is a student" - Saying so, does not mean I was verging on a violation of the Terms of Use...

You are correct, however, your statement;

This should not have been this scenario...

Could most certainly be understood by Apple to be your disagreement with Apple's policy, which is a violation of the ToU.

"Pro apps bundle for education" - can this bundle be used in a country where this "bundle" is not available?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.