Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMS/text notifications not working when near Mac

I am not receiving audible notifications for text messages on iPhone when near one of my Macs. Often I am in the same room with my Mac, but not sitting right at it. I want the iPhone to always give me an audible alert when a message is received.

When my iPhone is near my MacMini, iMessage alerts are silenced on my phone. I surmise that this is due to Continuity and Handoff realizing that I don't need multiple notifications on multiple devices. I have investigated both these and all appears to be correct.

However, the issue is that my text messages notifications, which I do NOT receive on my Mac, are also suppressed and until I manually look at my phone later, I don't realize that I got any.

I am using a Mac mini (late-2014), iPhone 7. This is my work location.

(When I am near my iMac at home, the message alerts on the iPhone work just fine.)

Please help me with this. My wife thinks I am ignoring her texts while I am at work.

Here are some similar threads with suggestions that have not worked for me.

SMS notifications not working when near M… - Apple Community

No text sound on phone while near compute… - Apple Community

text message not making a sound - Apple Community

My guess is there is a problem on the MacMini with the Messaging app.

I do not see anything in the Preferences in Messages on the Mac Mini that would do this.

I have rebooted both the phone and MacMini many times.

Since the text message alert works fine when I am near my iMac at home, but not with my MacMini at work, I assume this is a problem with the MacMini, but maybe not.

On the iPhone -- Text Message Forwarding is turned off for all devices.

on the iPhone under Notification, I have all alerts for Messaging turned on.

On the iPhone Do Not Disturb is turned off.

I am willing to take any suggestions, even ones I have already done.

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 15, 2019 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2019 10:40 AM

Ryan, the Apple Rep had me try a lot of things, both on the phone and the Mac.

The thing that seemed to fix the problem is on the iPhone: Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.

This reset a lot of settings on the iPhone that I now need to reset, but I do now get message alerts on my iPhone when I am near my Mac Mini. Yeah!!

I hope this helps someone else having this same issue.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2019 10:40 AM in response to Barnabas

Ryan, the Apple Rep had me try a lot of things, both on the phone and the Mac.

The thing that seemed to fix the problem is on the iPhone: Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.

This reset a lot of settings on the iPhone that I now need to reset, but I do now get message alerts on my iPhone when I am near my Mac Mini. Yeah!!

I hope this helps someone else having this same issue.

Aug 5, 2019 9:18 AM in response to Barnabas

Barnabas wrote:

I have to fix this issue. Do Apple people hang out here to answer questions? Is there another place to ask Apple a question? Shall I take my phone to an Apple Store to get them to help?

Apple's participation here is minimal. You can use the Contact Support link at the top right of every page to contact Apple. Or, take your phone to the Apple Store. However, without your computer with you, it will be hard to duplicate the issue there.

SMS/text notifications not working when near Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.