Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suddenly Cannot Sign In to Messages on MacBook Pro

I can't figure this out. I was, literally, using Messages on my Mac earlier this morning, without issue. Now, however, it keeps asking me for my iCloud password and when I enter it, it just sits there as though I haven't entered anything! I tried going into the Messages Preferences and entering the password there (for some reason, it has disappeared!), but then I get this error message:

I HAVE checked my network connection. My password is correct, my internet signal strength is very good, my Macbook's date and time are correct, and there have been NO system updates in the last 24 hours. What is going on??? I checked Apple's System Status Page, but iMessage is not experiencing an outage. I can't figure out what has changed in, literally, a matter of minutes. It was working just fine and all of a sudden, it's not. I was sending messages ON my Macbook Pro a couple of hours ago. I haven't downloaded anything or gone to any sketchy sites or clicked on any links. This is truly weird.

Any ideas??

2015 MacBook Pro laptop (Retina, 15"), running Mojave version 10.14.5

MacBook

Posted on Jul 15, 2019 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2019 1:15 PM

Believe it or not, I may have found the answer on my own:

I have been a Mac user for more than eight years. I have an apple email address (@me.com), which has served as my Apple ID since my very first Mac purchase. That means, I have always signed into my icloud account with my @me.com ID.

On a whim, I decided to enter my Apple ID with @icloud.com instead of @me.com and it worked! This has never happened before! Has Apple changed something? Will I no longer be able to sign into iCloud with my @me.com Apple ID? It doesn't really matter as long as it works with @icloud.com, but it would have been nice to be alerted to this change in advance.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2019 1:15 PM in response to Herstorygirl

Believe it or not, I may have found the answer on my own:

I have been a Mac user for more than eight years. I have an apple email address (@me.com), which has served as my Apple ID since my very first Mac purchase. That means, I have always signed into my icloud account with my @me.com ID.

On a whim, I decided to enter my Apple ID with @icloud.com instead of @me.com and it worked! This has never happened before! Has Apple changed something? Will I no longer be able to sign into iCloud with my @me.com Apple ID? It doesn't really matter as long as it works with @icloud.com, but it would have been nice to be alerted to this change in advance.

Suddenly Cannot Sign In to Messages on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.