Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sim Card

When setting up a new phone, do I need to replace the new phone's sim card with my current phone's sim card? And if so, do I replace before or after I transfer data?

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 15, 2019 12:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2019 12:36 PM

It depends. If you got your service transferred by your carrier to the sim card in the new iPhone, or are planning on setting up cell service directly in the iPhone settings, once the iPhone is completely set up, then no you don't need to transfer it.

If you didn't do anything with your carrier, and want a more direct setup process, then yes you can transfer the sim card from the old iPhone to the new one.

You can do it any point. The iPhone will require a sim card be installed in the iPhone for activation, but it can be the one it comes with, or the one from your old phone it doesn't really matter.

Once transferred, your service will move from the old iPhone to new one, and your old iPhone will no longer connect to your carrier for cell service.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2019 12:36 PM in response to chef$dave

It depends. If you got your service transferred by your carrier to the sim card in the new iPhone, or are planning on setting up cell service directly in the iPhone settings, once the iPhone is completely set up, then no you don't need to transfer it.

If you didn't do anything with your carrier, and want a more direct setup process, then yes you can transfer the sim card from the old iPhone to the new one.

You can do it any point. The iPhone will require a sim card be installed in the iPhone for activation, but it can be the one it comes with, or the one from your old phone it doesn't really matter.

Once transferred, your service will move from the old iPhone to new one, and your old iPhone will no longer connect to your carrier for cell service.

Sim Card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.