Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Superdrive driver for Windows 10 32-bit

I have a MacBook Air 4.1 and intalled Windows 10 in a Virtualbox. I have to install a Windows program with DVDs and I'm using the Superdrive via USB. In Windows 10 Explorer I see the drive, but I can't insert a DVD/CD. It will be block/refused. I learned from other communities that I need the bootcamp drivers for the Superdrive. However I didn't find those for Windows 10 32-bit. Can anybody help me to get those? Thanks a lot in advance.

MacBook Air 11", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 16, 2019 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 4:25 AM

Find your Mac in Install Windows 7 on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support, and download the drivers package. Do not run setup.exe. Extract only the AppleODD driver and install it. Test and verify.

10 replies

Jul 16, 2019 11:29 PM in response to Mischahome

Thanks to your replies:

1) The superdrive is working if I start High Sierra only. The problem is only when I start Windows 10 in a VM and like to use the Superdrive there

2) I used 32bit Windows because of resources. Mac has only 4GB and Windows 64-bit needs at least 2GB RAM. It could work, but may be slowly

3) I bought a Win 10 license extra for that use, therefore Windows 7 is only a bad option

4) I'm wondering that only 64-bit drivers are available?

Any other ideas? If not, I'm thinking to install Windows 10 64-bit

Jul 17, 2019 2:48 AM in response to Mischahome

Mischahome wrote:

Thanks to your replies:
1) The superdrive is working if I start High Sierra only. The problem is only when I start Windows 10 in a VM and like to use the Superdrive there

Are you allowing the USB device to pass-through to the Windows VM?

2) I used 32bit Windows because of resources. Mac has only 4GB and Windows 64-bit needs at least 2GB RAM. It could work, but may be slowly

32-bit or 64-bit Windows is not the determining factor.

3) I bought a Win 10 license extra for that use, therefore Windows 7 is only a bad option

We do not want to install W7, but just get the 32-bit driver from the BC package.

4) I'm wondering that only 64-bit drivers are available?

Yes.

Any other ideas? If not, I'm thinking to install Windows 10 64-bit

You will consume a W10 license whether you use a VM or BOOTCAMP. Bootcamp partitions can be imported as VMs, if needed.

Jul 18, 2019 12:06 AM in response to Loner T

Hello @Loner T, thanks for your help.

I guess I do not a pass-through. I connected the superdrive only, when Windows is up and running. Then I see the drive in the Windows Explorer, but the only problem is, that the drive do not accept any disc. It will not be inserted.

Do you know where I can get the Windows 32-bit driver from the BC package? (MacBook Air mid 2011)

Thanks in advance

Superdrive driver for Windows 10 32-bit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.