You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 won't back up to iTunes

I got a new iPhone X yesterday and I'm trying to back up my old iPhone 7 to iTunes to then get my new iPhone going. I keep getting the message "iTunes could not back up the iPhone "laCole's iPhone" because an error occurred while reading from or writing to the iPhone". I have all programs up to date on both my mac and my iPhone 7, turned both off/on. My last back up was 2/2019 and it is on my Mac. Any help on how to make this work?

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 16, 2019 12:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2019 2:25 PM

Do you have the latest iTunes version installed on your Mac?

Try again after each step

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Connect your device to your computer with a USB cable, then select your device in iTunes. If your device doesn't appear in iTunes, you need to fix that issue before you can continue. Or, if you forgot your passcode or your device is disabled, learn what to do. 
  3. Turn off both your computer and your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Then turn them on again.
  4. If you use a Mac, skip this step. If you use a Windows PC and iTunes won't respond or your backup never finishes, you might need to update, change, disable, or uninstall your security software.
  5. If you own more than one computer, try to make a backup on your other Mac or PC. Or, use iCloud to back up your device and restore from your iCloud backup.
  6. If you see an alert that says an error occurred, your backup is corrupt or incompatible, or there's not enough disk space, find your error message below to learn what to do next.
  7. Contact Apple Support.

If your iTunes backup couldn't be completed or you can't restore from a ...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203271

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 16, 2019 2:25 PM in response to LaCole12

Do you have the latest iTunes version installed on your Mac?

Try again after each step

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Connect your device to your computer with a USB cable, then select your device in iTunes. If your device doesn't appear in iTunes, you need to fix that issue before you can continue. Or, if you forgot your passcode or your device is disabled, learn what to do. 
  3. Turn off both your computer and your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Then turn them on again.
  4. If you use a Mac, skip this step. If you use a Windows PC and iTunes won't respond or your backup never finishes, you might need to update, change, disable, or uninstall your security software.
  5. If you own more than one computer, try to make a backup on your other Mac or PC. Or, use iCloud to back up your device and restore from your iCloud backup.
  6. If you see an alert that says an error occurred, your backup is corrupt or incompatible, or there's not enough disk space, find your error message below to learn what to do next.
  7. Contact Apple Support.

If your iTunes backup couldn't be completed or you can't restore from a ...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203271

iPhone 7 won't back up to iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.