Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't create new playlists from albums

In the past, I had been able to go to Apple Music, find an album by an artist, click on Add ot Playlist > New Playlist, and it would create a new playlist with the name of the album.

Now it just creates an empty playlist called "Playlist." I can't even add the album to "Playlist", but I can add individual songs.

Did something change in the last month?

I've had this happen on my Mac at home and my PC at work so I know it's not my system.

I can still create playlists from albums in iOS.

Posted on Jul 17, 2019 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2019 7:47 PM

I've figured out how it works now.

Once I find the album I want to turn into a playlist, from that window, I have to "Show Album in Library".

From there, I can got to "Add to Playlist" > "New Playlist" and it'll create a new playlist with the artist and album name and the songs already added.

I've never had to do this before. It's only been this month.

In the past, I would just find the album go to "Add to Playlist" > "New Playlist" and it would just do it. It's still an option in that first window.

Apple should either fix it, or get rid of it from there to stop this confusion.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2019 7:47 PM in response to swandy

I've figured out how it works now.

Once I find the album I want to turn into a playlist, from that window, I have to "Show Album in Library".

From there, I can got to "Add to Playlist" > "New Playlist" and it'll create a new playlist with the artist and album name and the songs already added.

I've never had to do this before. It's only been this month.

In the past, I would just find the album go to "Add to Playlist" > "New Playlist" and it would just do it. It's still an option in that first window.

Apple should either fix it, or get rid of it from there to stop this confusion.

Jul 18, 2019 6:59 AM in response to kobayashi maru

Hi kobayashi maru,

Thanks for posting. I see you're running into some issues with creating a playlist from an album in Apple Music.

Are you adding the album to your library before adding it to the playlist? If not, give that a try to see if that makes a difference: Add and download music and video content from the Apple Music catalog

You mentioned this only seems to happen on a Mac and a PC; are you using the latest version of iTunes on both computers? If not, make sure you've updated and then test again: Update to the latest version of iTunes

I hope these steps help you get started. Take care.

Jul 18, 2019 8:22 AM in response to Leanne_68

Yes, I tried adding the songs to the library first, but I never used to and was able to create playlists from albums fine.

I tried with 3 random albums. I also downloaded the songs first from each album, I got the same results.

This website doesn't answer my question: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204839. Accessing the content is not the problem.

And yes, I'm on the latest iTunes on both computers.

Jul 18, 2019 11:45 AM in response to kobayashi maru

Hi kobayashi maru,

Thanks for replying. To test, try signing out of your iTunes account on one of the computers affected. You can do this by clicking the Account menu at the top and signing out; then, sign back in and test it out. Keep in mind that when you do this, content that has been downloaded for offline play will be deleted, so you'll need to re-download that after.

Kind regards.

Jul 22, 2019 10:03 AM in response to kobayashi maru

There is an option under iTunes Preferences to "Add Music to Library when Adding to Playlist" - which I had unchecked. So when I checked it, I was able to all a new album to my library and then add it to a playlist - but not directly to a playlist. Even after leaving that option checked and closing down iTunes and then restarting the app, same results - would not add directly from Apple Music to a library without first adding it to my library.

Maybe I am just thick (age does that), but are you able to add the new albums to your library or you can't even do that?

Aug 26, 2019 5:44 AM in response to kobayashi maru

I've just experienced this for the first time on my Mac as well. It's got to be a bug, otherwise why allow the option to "Add to Playlist" at the album level? Plus given that it works on iOS as expected seems to be further indication that this is unintended behavior.

Unfortunately your "Show in library" first trick doesn't work for me. I guess I'll just have to do this from my iPad. Wish I would've known about this before I used my Mac to move a bunch of albums from my library to playlists. That's how I prefer to manage my young daughter's music on my devices - as playlists without adding to my library.

Can't create new playlists from albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.