Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave and iMovie 6 HD

Contrary to popular belief, iMovie 6 HD works perfectly well with all OS's up to and including OS 10.14.5.

From OS 10.10 to 10.14, it requires a mod in the info.plist file.

This also includes the New iMac model 19.1 running Mojave.

Posted on Jul 17, 2019 7:56 PM

4 replies

Jul 17, 2019 9:33 PM in response to logic79

I don't have a belief, but the actual refusal of any of my Macs to run iMovie HD. I still do use it, but do so from an external drive with a boot clone of 10.9 (Mavericks) which is the last version it would run for me without hiccups. Those started in El Capitan and I got the app icon with the "won't run" circle/slash after that.

Jul 18, 2019 10:30 AM in response to logic79

Thanks for the info! I used iMovie 1.0.2 - 2.1.2 - 6.0.3 for DV projects and just two weeks ago finished the last project before maybe finally retiring my old Sony TRV320E miniDV camcorder (actually it is an "unnEUtered" D8 camcorder that records miniDV format to Hi8 tapes). I had to refresh my memory about the many weird iMovie bugs you had to be aware of -- luckily I had an old memo how to avoid them.

I was dragged kicking and screaming from the "old" iMovie to FCP but good old iMovie still feels more at home with DV projects (I use MPEG Streamclip for deinterlaced output to .mp4 -- this very last project didn't go to DVD at all. As far as I know iDVD 6.0.4 doesn't run on OS X 10.8 or later and DVDs now feel so clumsy anyway).

My memo from a few years ago: iLife 06 installer doesn't run on OS X 10.8 because it is a PowerPC application. iMovie HD 6.0 can be installed via Pacifist ($20): Open the iLife 06.mpkg installer with Pacifist, select the whole iMovie package and let Pacifist install all components to their correct places. iMovie HD 6.0.2 Combo Update and iMovie HD 6.0.3 Update can then be installed normally.

Jul 18, 2019 1:57 PM in response to Matti Haveri

Power PC applications will run on OS's 10.6 to 10.10 if the app, Rosetta from the Snow Leopard install disc is installed. I have been running OS 10.7 to 10.10 without any issues with legacy apps.

The reason the app icon with the won't run circle/slash won't open is because the version mod is requires in the info.plist file.

Even 10.14 understands that, I use it every day.

Mojave and iMovie 6 HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.