Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sort photos in slideshow

I created a smart album of my vacation, pulled 800+ photos between specific dates. When I create a slideshow, the slideshow puts the photos in some crazy order. How can I sort quickly in a slide show? Manually moving 800+ pictures around is crazy in this day and age. Can't I sort the slide show by file creation date like I did with my smart album?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 8:45 AM

You cannot sort a slideshow easily, only be dragging individual photos around. You have to add the photos exactly in the order you want them to appear directly when you create the slideshow.

• Sort the smart album as you want it.
  • Then select the smart album in the sidebar (select the album, not the photos in the album), then ctrl-click or right-click the album in the sidebar and use the command "Create > Slideshow > Photos".

This will usually preserve the sort album in the album for the slideshow. If you drag several photos at once to the slideshow, or if you use the "Create" command from the file menu, the photos may get rearranged. Then the sort order in the album will not be used for the slideshow.

One more thing. Photos will not completely respect the order you pick, when you use one of the fancy themes with several photos on a slide. The sequence of templates for the slides is fixed, and Photos will rearrange the photos to fill the placeholders with photos of the correct aspect ratio. If you want to control the sequence of the photos perfectly, use a theme with only one photo per slide, the simple themes "Classic" and Ken Burns".

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2019 8:45 AM in response to k2UT

You cannot sort a slideshow easily, only be dragging individual photos around. You have to add the photos exactly in the order you want them to appear directly when you create the slideshow.

• Sort the smart album as you want it.
  • Then select the smart album in the sidebar (select the album, not the photos in the album), then ctrl-click or right-click the album in the sidebar and use the command "Create > Slideshow > Photos".

This will usually preserve the sort album in the album for the slideshow. If you drag several photos at once to the slideshow, or if you use the "Create" command from the file menu, the photos may get rearranged. Then the sort order in the album will not be used for the slideshow.

One more thing. Photos will not completely respect the order you pick, when you use one of the fancy themes with several photos on a slide. The sequence of templates for the slides is fixed, and Photos will rearrange the photos to fill the placeholders with photos of the correct aspect ratio. If you want to control the sequence of the photos perfectly, use a theme with only one photo per slide, the simple themes "Classic" and Ken Burns".

Sort photos in slideshow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.