Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to download apps from U.S. app store while travelling, as my Apple ID is registered in Australia.

Hi there,

I am on 3 months journey to the U.S. and Canada. I have recently bought a SIM card with U.S. mobile number and was trying to install an operators app on my phone. However this was not possible, as the app is only available in U.S. App Store. I do not plan to reside in the U.S. for any long period of time, hence changing my Apple ID country/region is not a convenient solution (I am not excited about loosing all my Australian App Store purchases/subscriptions). As result I am missing out as I am unable to check or control my usage, because I can't install the app. :(

I am just trying to figure out what is the thought behind country locking particular apps? It is obviously making general user's life harder to force them to switch between regions just to be able to download a particular app while they are genuinely travelling within that region. Wouldn't it be smart to allow people have their Apple ID remain permanently registered in their home country AND allowing them to access the content of the country, where they physically are located at the moment?

I would really appreciate if someone from Apple Co. could answer this question.

Cheers,

Maximuss

iPhone 6s, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 10:33 AM

Apple has no say in where 3rd party apps are made available. That's entirely at the discretion of the app developers.

If the U.S. carrier decided their app can only be available in the U.S store, Apple can't do anything about it.

The country locking mechanism, came about from Media companies and their distribution deals for their media in different countries. Media companies engage in distributions deals with local companies in different countries, and many times those deals involve exclusive distribution for a period of time in said country, so the movie cannot be available through iTunes there for a period of time to comply with the deals made with those other companies.

The mechanism, was just extended to apps, since its technically the same store platform and would offer the same options. As such developers can make use of it as they require or see fit for their own Apps.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2019 10:33 AM in response to maximuss1

Apple has no say in where 3rd party apps are made available. That's entirely at the discretion of the app developers.

If the U.S. carrier decided their app can only be available in the U.S store, Apple can't do anything about it.

The country locking mechanism, came about from Media companies and their distribution deals for their media in different countries. Media companies engage in distributions deals with local companies in different countries, and many times those deals involve exclusive distribution for a period of time in said country, so the movie cannot be available through iTunes there for a period of time to comply with the deals made with those other companies.

The mechanism, was just extended to apps, since its technically the same store platform and would offer the same options. As such developers can make use of it as they require or see fit for their own Apps.

Unable to download apps from U.S. app store while travelling, as my Apple ID is registered in Australia.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.