Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New ipad won't let me enter correct phone # for imessage

I bought a new ipad gen6. My wife and I share the same apple ID. The apple ID is my email address and has my phone number as both the "reachable at" and "trusted" phone number in the ID profile. My phone has my email as the Apple ID and the "You can receive messages to and reply from:..." lists my phone number. I used my phone to pair with the new ipad during set up. On the ipad, under settings/messages/You can receive imessages to and reply from....it lists my email, and my wife's phone number. It will not let you delete and re-enter a different number. You have the option of checking it...or not checking it. Any ideas how to enter my phone number here in order to be able to use the ipad for imessage?

iPad, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 8:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2019 7:56 AM

Hello,

It is best to not share an Apple ID between 2 people. You could try to continue to ‘band-aid’ the problem or you could separate your’s and her’s devices from the one Apple ID. Once you have created a second Apple ID for either your wife or yourself you can use iCloud Family Sharing in order to share your existing purchases. This way YOUR phone number will be associated to YOUR Apple ID and HER phone number will be associated to HER Apple ID.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2019 7:56 AM in response to xtopherp

Hello,

It is best to not share an Apple ID between 2 people. You could try to continue to ‘band-aid’ the problem or you could separate your’s and her’s devices from the one Apple ID. Once you have created a second Apple ID for either your wife or yourself you can use iCloud Family Sharing in order to share your existing purchases. This way YOUR phone number will be associated to YOUR Apple ID and HER phone number will be associated to HER Apple ID.

Jul 19, 2019 10:42 AM in response to QuickPost

Thank you for the reply. I can and probably will do this. However, I'm not really sure it addresses the issue of why my number from my phone that I used to pair this ipad and is the only number listed on the Apple ID, is not the number making itself available as an imessage option. In the end, I will try this and hope, but I would think that while she might have this problem, since it is my number all over everything, I would not.

New ipad won't let me enter correct phone # for imessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.