Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting photos from Photos app to hard drive

My icloud storage is full and I want to export photos from my Photos app on my Mac to an external hard drive. When I export these photos I select 'export unmodified original'. But the when looking at the photos on my hard drive I cannot find the original date created which can be seen in the photos app. How am I able export the date created together with the exported photo???

Posted on Jul 19, 2019 1:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2019 9:33 AM

When I export an unmodified original I get the original file date, you might be getting the current creation date because you are going to an external drive. In any case, you can simply open a finder window and click on the image to see the creation date from the Exif data - which is what counts.

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 19, 2019 9:28 AM in response to Zus20

The Finder does not read the EXIF date created date filed. It only reads the file created date. To see the EXIF date one must view the image files in the Column view:

But they can't be sorted by that date.

When you export the unmodified originals also select the option to include the XML file with each image file. That file will include any metadata you added to the image from within Photos. If you import the image file and the XML file into a Photos library or other app that can read the XML file all of your metadata will be kept with the image.

Exporting photos from Photos app to hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.