Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to save all my photos to an external drive while retaining the original Date of Creation? How can I do that?

I want to save all my photos to an external drive while retaining the original Date of Creation? How can I do that?

Posted on Aug 10, 2022 8:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2022 11:51 PM

For Mac you could download EXIF Renamer

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10043/exifrenamer

This will reset the creation date for your photos, based on EXIF data of your photos.

It can also rename your files to include the creation date / time in the file name, this will make it easier to find specific photos on your external drive.

Ralf

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2022 11:51 PM in response to leshter

For Mac you could download EXIF Renamer

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10043/exifrenamer

This will reset the creation date for your photos, based on EXIF data of your photos.

It can also rename your files to include the creation date / time in the file name, this will make it easier to find specific photos on your external drive.

Ralf

Aug 10, 2022 9:54 PM in response to leshter

When you export your photos to an external drive, a new file will be created, and the new file will usually have a new file creation date. in the older system versions it helped to export with File > Export > unmodified original. but even then you cannot preserve the original file creation date, if you have been using iCloud Photos. The download from iCloud will change the file creation date. it should not really matter, as the more important capture date of the photo will be embedded in the metadata and any photo program will show you the date when the photo has been taken. For videos You should write the date the video has been recorded into the filename to save the date.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.