Downloading photos

I have 8615 photos and videos on my iPhone and in iCloud. I tried to download my photos from iCloud to make space, and it changed the dates of all the files to today's date. I don't want that to happen and I have not found a way to keep the original date.

So, I tried to export to my iMac with both the Photos App and ImageCapture and it is only pulling up 4120 photos/videos in iPhoto and 4219 in ImageCapture. That is less than half of what is there. How do I fix this?

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 11:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 7:31 PM

If you downloaded photos from iCloud, they would be in new files, so the file dates would be today. The capture dates of the photos should still be recorded in the internal metadata, visible in utilities like Preview. Yet other utilities like GraphicConverter can "forge" the file dates to match the capture dates.

Those export results sound like you have Optimize iPhone Storage enabled on your iPhone and about half of your photos/videos have been optimized down to thumbnails, so the export couldn't find the full versions.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2023 7:31 PM in response to ErinA74

If you downloaded photos from iCloud, they would be in new files, so the file dates would be today. The capture dates of the photos should still be recorded in the internal metadata, visible in utilities like Preview. Yet other utilities like GraphicConverter can "forge" the file dates to match the capture dates.

Those export results sound like you have Optimize iPhone Storage enabled on your iPhone and about half of your photos/videos have been optimized down to thumbnails, so the export couldn't find the full versions.

Aug 1, 2023 2:59 AM in response to ErinA74

When you are using iCloud Photos on the iPhone, you should download the photos on your Mac with iCloud Photos, otherwise you can only download the photos that are currently stored locally on your iPhone and will get random results with Image Capture or Photos. Let iCloud Photos sync the photos to your Mac. If your current Photos Library is too large to be syncing with iCloud Photos, craete a new, empty Photos Library and use that with iCloud Photos.

Downloading photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.