Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music

I got a new phone on my moms plan and put my card info in to get Apple Music but when I go further it says what does it mean by transfer Apple ID ? And what will that be doing ? I don’t want to transfer it

iPhone X, 12

Posted on Jul 19, 2019 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 12:20 AM

I got a new phone

Not strictly new. The device was used with a different Apple ID before. That doesn’t have to be an issue, though. The message only warns you of the consequences that you should be aware of.

what does it mean by transfer Apple ID ?

Apple Music (and several other services) require an association between a device and its user (Apple ID). To transfer means to break the link with the Apple ID of the previous user, and create a link with your Apple ID.

And what will that be doing ?

The transfer links your Apple ID to the device in Apple’s administration, like an authorization for certain types of content, including Apple Music. It means the device shouldn’t be used with other Apple IDs. The link can’t be changed again for at least 90 days.

I don’t want to transfer it

Yes, you do want to transfer the association to your Apple ID, so that you can use the device with your Apple ID (instead of the previous Apple ID that was used with that device). It is required for Apple Music use.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2019 12:20 AM in response to Haileyms

I got a new phone

Not strictly new. The device was used with a different Apple ID before. That doesn’t have to be an issue, though. The message only warns you of the consequences that you should be aware of.

what does it mean by transfer Apple ID ?

Apple Music (and several other services) require an association between a device and its user (Apple ID). To transfer means to break the link with the Apple ID of the previous user, and create a link with your Apple ID.

And what will that be doing ?

The transfer links your Apple ID to the device in Apple’s administration, like an authorization for certain types of content, including Apple Music. It means the device shouldn’t be used with other Apple IDs. The link can’t be changed again for at least 90 days.

I don’t want to transfer it

Yes, you do want to transfer the association to your Apple ID, so that you can use the device with your Apple ID (instead of the previous Apple ID that was used with that device). It is required for Apple Music use.

Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.