Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use external GPS antenna with an iPad Air?

I was wondering if it is possible to connect an external GPS antenna to the Lightning port of an iPad Air for better GPS position reception? Would it work? Would it "make" the physical connection to the internal GPS by plugging it into the Lightning port? Would doing this damage the iPad in any way? The internal GPS on my iPad works fine on the ground, but when I use it in the air (with my aviation app) it does not work reliably in aircraft with heated cockpit windows. Wondering if any of you Hi Tech folks can address this issue!

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 19, 2019 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2019 3:21 PM

Yes, there are several (most cater to pilots but that’s just their main market segment as their devices have lots of other uses). Bad Elf is one that has been providing devices and apps for years now - https://bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-1008-detail. Their lightening connector device lists for $129.99.

There are likely other makes that I am not aware of too

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2019 3:21 PM in response to mswKate

Yes, there are several (most cater to pilots but that’s just their main market segment as their devices have lots of other uses). Bad Elf is one that has been providing devices and apps for years now - https://bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-1008-detail. Their lightening connector device lists for $129.99.

There are likely other makes that I am not aware of too

Jul 19, 2019 3:29 PM in response to Michael Black

I know there are several GPS receivers - like the Bad Elf - that are compatible with the aviation apps used on the iPad. My question is whether or not it would be feasible to attach an external GPS antenna - which I already have - to the iPad for better, more reliable, GPS reception and position information (derived from the iPad's internal GPS) while in the air.

Jul 19, 2019 3:37 PM in response to mswKate

In that case no, I don’t think so. My understanding is that location services won’t take the input from any external antennae, so there be nothing to process the data from such an antennae. That’s why the items by Bad Elf, Garmin and others for iOS devices are all full fledged receivers that compute the location themselves and pass it to specific apps designed for them.

Use external GPS antenna with an iPad Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.