Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just updated to Mojave. Now my MacPro freezes/crashes every 15-20 minutes.

So I updated to Mojave yesterday (using the combo update to 10.14.5), and now my MacPro is freezing up every 15-20 minutes or so.

I've tried debugging/resetting the Bluetooth module, reinstalling the combo update, and the problem seems to persist. I've unplugged peripherals, and it still persists. Basically after around 15-20 minutes of normal use, my mouse clicks will stop responding--but for a few moments, the cursor will still move. Then the cursor stops moving, and then my MacPro crashes and restarts.

I'm faithfully sending the crash reports to Apple.

Any thoughts?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 19, 2019 6:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 10:59 AM

I'll check in Safe Mode ... I'll have to read up on how to diagnose what the issues are IF they don't occur in Safe Mode, though.

Re: Bluetooth--I did a Google search for others who'd experienced freeze-ups after installing Mojave. At least one or two mentioned Bluetooth, which seemed possible, since it seemed like my freeze-ups were typically triggered by me clicking my Bluetooth mouse. First, the click wouldn't process, but the cursor will still move wherever I wanted it. Then after about 15 seconds of an un-clickable mouse, the cursor would finally freeze, and then a second later, my computer would restart. Obviously that doesn't mean Bluetooth is to blame, but it just seemed like a potential culprit.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2019 10:59 AM in response to John Galt

I'll check in Safe Mode ... I'll have to read up on how to diagnose what the issues are IF they don't occur in Safe Mode, though.

Re: Bluetooth--I did a Google search for others who'd experienced freeze-ups after installing Mojave. At least one or two mentioned Bluetooth, which seemed possible, since it seemed like my freeze-ups were typically triggered by me clicking my Bluetooth mouse. First, the click wouldn't process, but the cursor will still move wherever I wanted it. Then after about 15 seconds of an un-clickable mouse, the cursor would finally freeze, and then a second later, my computer would restart. Obviously that doesn't mean Bluetooth is to blame, but it just seemed like a potential culprit.

Jul 19, 2019 8:04 PM in response to Chris Corrado

Please determine if the same problems occur in "Safe Mode": Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac.

Starting a Mac in "Safe Mode" takes a long time, and it's generally inconvenient to use while in that mode, but it should definitely not freeze or become unresponsive in the manner you describe.

Apple definitely uses the crash reports, but if they determine the freezes and unresponsiveness is due to something beyond their ability to control (such as third party software) they'll lose interest quickly.

Is there a reason you zeroed in on the Bluetooth module? It shouldn't cause those symptoms.

Jul 20, 2019 11:17 AM in response to Chris Corrado

Sometimes merely restarting a Mac in "Safe Mode" is enough to fix whatever's wrong, for reasons explained in that document.

Read If an issue doesn't happen in safe mode but its suggestions regarding incompatible login items is only one potential cause. Any number of user-installed system modifications could be the reason, and if you don't know where to start examine the contents of the following three folders:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

/Library/LaunchAgents

/Library/LaunchDaemons

Those folders should either be empty or will contain very few files—and you should know what they are—so it's a simple initial troubleshooting method.

Jul 21, 2019 7:37 AM in response to Chris Corrado

Adding this bit because I've discovered some new information:

It appears that the crashing is tied to my LogiTech "MX Anywhere 2S" Bluetooth mouse. I use this mouse instead of Apple's Magic Mouse because I use Adobe's Creative Suite, and the swiping functions on the Magic Mouse make my work zoom in or out, driving me insane. When I unplug the mouse's USB receiver, my computer works fine. But when it's plugged in and I'm using the LogiTech mouse, it's only about 15 minutes until it freezes up.

Just in case anyone else is experiencing this!

Just updated to Mojave. Now my MacPro freezes/crashes every 15-20 minutes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.